Talk

Advanced search

Silliest or most pointless baby product

(41 Posts)
EmJayg Mon 01-Aug-11 22:51:14

Hi I am pregnant and whilst trawling through the numerous products you definatly NEED for baby, I came across a baby helmet to prevent bumps.

Well ok it isnt pointless but I couldnt stop laughing. Surely adult supervision will suffice, I cant help but think what on earth next?

A bubble wrap suit???

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Mon 01-Aug-11 22:53:28

Most of it seems like you will need it but goes unused.

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Mon 01-Aug-11 22:54:00

('it' = baby stuff)

EmJayg Mon 01-Aug-11 22:56:21

Yeah I have a six yr old too, I spent a fortune on him and he didnt use half the stuff we got him. However I will probably be sucked in by cute things and end up doing it all over again lol.

memphis83 Mon 01-Aug-11 23:00:06

This helmet was also seen by my mother, my ds wants to run everywhere after only mastering walking not long ago, this teamed with boat like feet we have many falls a day...my mother wanted to buy one of these helmets as he always has bruise on his head, I declined her offer of buying one!
I also didnt see the point in baby wipe warmers!

Katisha Mon 01-Aug-11 23:29:44

cot bumpers

EmJayg Mon 01-Aug-11 23:41:27

baby wipe warmers??? Really lol

befuzzled Mon 01-Aug-11 23:42:55

nappy wrapper bins

EmJayg Mon 01-Aug-11 23:43:11

Baby bouncers that dont actually bounce! My ds had one that was expensive and vibrated but didnt bounce and he hated it. Ended up getting a cheap £10 one which was the basic bouncer and he loved it.

MrsGerardButler Mon 01-Aug-11 23:45:20

Bottle warmer that plugs into your car charger/cigarette lighter thingy. Takes an hour to get the bloody thing to room temp.

MrsGerardButler Mon 01-Aug-11 23:52:44

Moses basket. Seem a bit structurally unsound to me, ridiculously expensive and your baby will probably outgrow it in about 6 weeks.

LauraIngallsWilder Mon 01-Aug-11 23:57:09

I loved my moses basket - mega useful until my babies were 10 weeks old.
And for the last 7 years it has been extremely useful as storage for books I will read eventually - fits perfectly under my chest of drawers smile

Baby wipe warmers are clearly stupid.
As are nappy wrapper bins

Cot top changer (from John Lewis) was utterly brilliant and used with mine until they werent in nappys anymore

lia66 Mon 01-Aug-11 23:57:27

best worst I ever saw was at the baby fair last year actually and I kid you not it was a device to prop a bottle up on a pushchair so you didn't have to hold bottle or baby yourself. shock

myself and my friend were open mouthed and saleswoman, mistaking our incredulous expressions for interest was rather taken aback at our comments. grin

nickschick Mon 01-Aug-11 23:58:37

I once for pfb smile bought baby air freshener I also used to buy baby ribena hmm that was almost the same price as a regular bottle but half the size and had allegedly half the sugar ......by ds2 I was hardened and he had water or robinsons special r.

lia66 Mon 01-Aug-11 23:59:11

I don't use wipes but i do use warm water for changing baby, (is that the same ) I reason it wouldn't clean as well if water was cold and my precious little darling would get a cold bum grin

EmJayg Tue 02-Aug-11 14:40:38

lia66, So they didnt have to feed baby themselves?? How awful. I hate it when mums push their baby around wi a bottle propped up, the baby looks like its going to choke. I used to love feeding time with my lil boy, a chance to cuddle him and talk to him.

lia66 Tue 02-Aug-11 14:47:16

Yes em thats exactly what it was for, we were a bit gobsmacked I can tell you. i am a mother of 6 and thought I'd seen all sorts of useless baby tat inventions for babies but this did take the biscuit. at the baby show too..

malinois Tue 02-Aug-11 14:53:50

Baby monitor. Just creates paranoid parents. And going round to dinner at a baby monitor-obsessives house is a right pain - getting shushed every 5 minutes so they can listen to some imagined noise (or lack thereof) from the damn squawk box.

We don't have one and you would think that we were keeping DS in the coal bunker by people's reaction when they find out.

EmJayg Tue 02-Aug-11 15:14:58

I did have a baby monitor but I am hard of hearing so I found it useful, it had the lights on that went from green (sleeping baby) to red (screaming baby). I didnt bother having the actual sound on, if it went red I went up to investigate simple as.

mousymouse Tue 02-Aug-11 15:17:59

tummy tub. you cannot wash a baby in there because you need both hands to hold baby's head over water.

spout Tue 02-Aug-11 15:20:10

Top and tail bowls

EmJayg Tue 02-Aug-11 15:20:14

I have recently seen a designer baby seat, a reclined one so suitable for birth to apx 6 months at £200 it didnt even look nice or comfy. Think I will stick to my lovely stripey baby bouncer that cost £20

ceebeegeebies Tue 02-Aug-11 15:24:09

Totally agree with the bottle warmer using the car charger - I gave up after the first attempt of using it when we realised that we would need to anticipate DS1's need for food at least an hour before it was needed hmm

BaronessBomburst Tue 02-Aug-11 15:25:20

Baby rice. Taste - zero. Nutritional value - zero. It's a hang over from the 50's. If they're old enough for food, give them real food!

Cattleprod Tue 02-Aug-11 15:36:12

Baby oil - still have a big bottle from when DS was born. I'm not sure exactly what the advantage is to have a slippery baby.
Talcum powder - again, what's the point?
Those headbands that some people put on baby girls.
Frills on baby stuff - moses baskets, socks, pants to go over nappies confused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now