Talk

Advanced search

I nearly cried in the supermarket.........

(5 Posts)
Kezzareece Thu 28-Jul-11 11:01:42

Felt really stupid, but I could feel myself all welling up.
My kids have been drinking water since Christmas. Asda finally updated the recipe for their concentrated squash sad . Although it didn't say it was sugar free, they'd added sweeteners anyway!! Panicking I'd checked the labels of all the squash bottles. They'd all succumbed to the sugar free revolution. It has NOTHING to do with hyperactivity angry. Ribena started it with TOOTHKIND. It's to stop your kids' teeth rotting because they don't brush them properly. soapbox over! My kids are sensitive to artificial additives. I got used to watching children drink and eat whatever they wanted as a child, my kids have to now!

Back to the tears in the supermarket.............I went to Morrisons. My usual shop was inaccessible due to roadworks. I'm thrilled. Morrison's High Juice 50% Juice Squash is SWEETENER FREE. The range is extensive. We chose apple and elderflower and good old fashioned Orange.

My kids faces at dinner last night were grin .

THANK YOU MORRISONS.

bullet234 Thu 28-Jul-11 11:04:49

Rocks Organic squash is also additive free I think and Asda sell that. Unfortunately it does cost more.

Lougle Thu 28-Jul-11 11:10:29

Drinking water really isn't a big deal.

My DD2 ended up in hospital because she developed 'squash syndrome'. She was drinking so much (weak) squash that she developed symptoms of diabetes.

It was only because DD1 has SN and doesn't drink enough that I didn't realise that DD2 was drinking excessively.

Now, they all have water, and DD2 drinks appropriate amounts, and her urine is nolonger like water.

Apparently, 'Squash syndrome' isn't all that uncommon in toddlers.

worldgonecrazy Thu 28-Jul-11 11:35:55

Have you thought of making your own? Here's an easy recipe for blackcurrant cordial - you could take the kids to a pick your own place and make a day of it.

450g blackcurrants
250g caster sugar
260ml water
One large lemon

De-stalk and wash the blackcurrants. Place the blackcurrants, sugar and water into a medium saucepan, over low heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Once the sugar has dissolved bring the syrup to a gentle simmer. Simmer the fruits for 5 minutes, add the juice and skin of the lemon.
Bring the syrup back to simmer for further 5 minutes. Let the cordial cool for 10 minutes and then pass through a sieve. Pour into sterilised glass bottles or a container for freezing. It keeps for about 6 weeks in the fridge, or you can put spare in the freezer.

No additives, just happy children and some lovely cordial.

Kezzareece Thu 28-Jul-11 11:36:46

Thanks for the recommendation bullet234. Will check that out this afternoon in Asda.

Squash Syndrome sounds a lot like Sunny D syndrome! Although in Sunny's case the kids turned orange. Don't worry Lougle we're a very well balanced family. Water jugs are always on the table at meal times. It was just a relief to find something 'normal' for the kids to enjoy.

The other side of the water issue is everything is bad for you in large quantities. Even water.....probably more so in Norfolk where the water is so hard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now