Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a childs bike please

(5 Posts)
captainpig Thu 21-Jul-11 10:52:08

My child is 6 and not yet able to ride without stabilisers. We currently have a bike with a back pedal brake which is a PITA (ie when starting off you cannot move the pedal backwards to get the pedal at the 12 o'clock position iyswim).

Can anyone recommend a lightweight bike with a low step through. I'm planning on taking the pedals off so that my child can use it as a balance bike to start with. (You may think just take the pedals off the bike I already have, but (apparently) because it has a back pedal brake that would make it illegal and dangerous as it would only have a single front brake.

OwlMother Thu 21-Jul-11 10:58:26

Ridgeback

My ds 5.5 went on this straight from his likeabike. Not too heavy, easily managed. He had both brakes and handlebars adjusted back at first for easier reach.

Actually, he has just told me, it's not quite this one, his is the 14" but he is quite small and got it about a year and a half ago, 16" is probably ok for your ds.

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 11:01:55

we have a puky, which is fab. very low step-through. incredibly well made too

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 11:02:32

it's this one

captainpig Thu 21-Jul-11 15:44:59

Thanks OwlMother, will take a look.

Thanks also thisisyesterday, our current bike is a Puky, but the Z8 which has a back pedal brake (I didn't realise when buying that some Puky's had back pedal brakes and others just had normal rear brakes).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now