Talk

Advanced search

Pls someone talk to me re Android vs Iphone? pros and cons etc

(20 Posts)
nowwearefour Wed 20-Jul-11 19:50:19

I am at complete novice at this. i'd like to know why some love one over the other etc. i think my choices have boiled down to Iphone 3 (8gb) vs HTC wildfire. Anyone any advice/ views?

magicmummy1 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:54:47

I'm very ignorant about stuff like this but have an iPhone 4 through work and am completely in love with it! grin

No experience of android so nothing to compare. Sorry!

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 20-Jul-11 19:59:28

HTC Desire is a better bet. It's half the price of the iPhone but you lose out on the choice of apps and IMO the camera isn't as good. I live my Desire though

BertieBotts Wed 20-Jul-11 20:00:23

I love my android phone! The spellcheck through the swype text entry system is a lot better than the iPhone's autocorrect.

I don't see much difference between them - the big pull for either is the apps, and most apps are available for both, or equivalent ones anyway, so there isn't much to choose from.

Sometimes iphone apps come out first (e.g. the mumsnet app) but OTOH, android is completely open source, you can opt to download any apps you like from anywhere on the web, whereas with apple you can only go through their app store.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 20-Jul-11 20:01:56

That makes no sense. What I meant was that the desire is better than the wildfire.

Madlizzy Wed 20-Jul-11 20:02:06

Android most definitely, otherwise you're tied to Apple and iTunes completely, whereas androids can be treated like an external hard drive on your computer, making it easier to just drag and drop files rather than having to do a full sync.

nowwearefour Wed 20-Jul-11 20:02:38

interesting- there is nothing wrong with an iphone 3 then apart from it not being the latest?

nowwearefour Wed 20-Jul-11 20:03:34

ok interesting madlizzy, thank you. i have foudn that itunes seemed to slow our laptop right down so am not mad keen on linking it to my pc!

oooggs Wed 20-Jul-11 20:04:17

I have a wildfire and the desire is supposed to be much much better. I think you should be comparing the iPhone and the Desire.

mummynoseynora Wed 20-Jul-11 20:06:09

android .... android <weird cheerleady voice>

I LOVE my android phone - I have had it since november and its like a third DC.... yep - I am weird

The full touchscreen is ACE, the apps are amazing - pretty much anything you like FREE (if you are happy to have a tiny google ad at the top) oh its just amazing...

nowwearefour Wed 20-Jul-11 20:06:12

apart from the desire is way out of budget- it is the old version of the iphone i am comparing the wildfire to. i cant get the desire or the iphone 4 :<

oooggs Wed 20-Jul-11 20:07:06

I see. I think I would like my wildfire better if I used to to its full capacity wink

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 20-Jul-11 20:34:39

Desire is more than an iP3? Wow. I thought you could get it for less that £20 ?

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 20-Jul-11 20:35:05

20pcm I mean

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 20-Jul-11 20:35:46

Make sure you're comparing the standard desire and not the HD version

nowwearefour Wed 20-Jul-11 20:36:40

ok thanks- didnt seem like too much of an option but i will check it out again! thanks jtgk

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 20-Jul-11 20:38:17

NP smile

mummynoseynora Wed 20-Jul-11 20:43:33

my android is a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

did I mention I love it?

grin

SchrodingersMew Wed 20-Jul-11 21:00:30

I've had to send 2 HTC Desires back and both had the same problems, friend has 1 and has had the same problems as well, another friend has the Wildfire and also has the same bloody problems.

Vodafone for my troubles decided to give me a hefty amount off a new phone because I pay them a fair amount on my bills, so I bought a Galaxy tab. So far it is brilliant, but not exactly compact and really if you want to use it for calls you need a bluetooth headset. At the same time I also got the Iphone4 as an upgrade to a laptop contract, I personally found it a bit boring and gave it to my DP but he loves it.

BertieBotts Wed 20-Jul-11 21:54:11

Mine is a samsung, the galaxy apollo, though it's a low-range smartphone, it can run most apps I've tried. The only thing it struggles with is 3d games, but there are plenty of other games for it. DP has the top-range one, the galaxy S2, and mine can do most of what his can - his is just a bit faster and the screen is a lot brighter! The camera is better on his though and it has a few extra features such as HD video recording, and an extra camera on the front so you can do video calling/skype etc. I'd definitely look at a mid-range samsung as well, they are very well made. The inbuilt alarm is fantastic as well, it has an option for smart alarm which means it wakes you up gently rather than a sudden thing. (Though you can download an app to do this on the iphone I believe)

Also another android vs iphone thing - I'm not sure if this happens on iphone, but if you install an app for e.g. facebook or skype on your android phone, it has the ability to add options to the menus, so for example when you are viewing your pictures in the gallery, it has an option there to publish to facebook if you have the facebook app installed. When you select a contact in your phone or highlight a phone number in e.g. a text message, it gives you the option to call that number using the in-built dialer, or via skype, just for example. You can also customise your home screen with pictures etc, and put shortcuts to your most used apps, contacts, webpages, etc, and add little widgets and things. I don't think the iphone even has a home screen, though you can change the picture on the screensaver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now