Talk

Advanced search

should I buy our new telly from Amazon?

(10 Posts)
macred Tue 12-Jul-11 21:41:09

Amazon seem to have the best deals on TVs, but am wary of buying such a big item in case their follow-on customer care is pants. Does anyone have any experiences of good/bad after sales care? Do you think I should pay a bit more and go to John Lewis/Comet etc. or is there another bargain retailer I haven't thought of?

Thanks.

mjbrown Sat 16-Jul-11 17:51:51

To be honest I prefer to have somewhere to physically take the product back to when it's something as large as a TV. All the smaller stuff I buy online.

Hassled Sat 16-Jul-11 17:57:03

We bought a smallish one from Amazon recently for DS2 - no problems so far and it was so much cheaper taht I wasn't thinking long-term/customer service etc.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 16-Jul-11 17:58:46

We've bought a tv from Amazon and it was fine. I bought a car seat from them which had to go back and it was easy, actually less hassle than schlepping it back to a shop.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 16-Jul-11 17:59:36

Their customer service (which I've found to be very good) can't possibly be any worse than Comet/Currys etc grin

pointydog Sat 16-Jul-11 18:02:13

I got a telly on amazon but didn't have any after sales issues. You can't go much wrong with a quality telly, can you? Maybe you can.

I got a sony bravia so very popular and reliable.

DragonAlley Sat 16-Jul-11 18:04:03

I bought mine from them because they offered the best price.

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Mon 18-Jul-11 17:22:07

Hi - we use amazon a lot & their delivery & service is always good - we bought a toshiba tv last christmas - they delivered 3 days before the big day in all that snow no problem - BUT we had a small issue with the TV 6 months later so should be under warranty - phoned toshiba service who told us that amazon buy all the tv's in europe direct from them cheaper without the warranty - although toshiba were helpful they said if it needed to be returned - Amazon would have to deal with it. It seems they work on the proviso that not many will need to be replaced.

breatheslowly Mon 18-Jul-11 22:24:54

We got ours last week from Amazon. Their courier company phoned to arrange delivery so that they didn't try to deliver while we were out and also called about 30min before delivery. The TV seems fine, obviously can't comment on aftercare as we haven't needed any (touch wood). We also got a wall bracket from Amazon and they have a much better range than the high street shops we looked at.

perfectstorm Wed 20-Jul-11 16:26:58

John Lewis are best for aftercare IMO (have been stellar even years in) but most expensive, then Amazon. Curry/Comet are appalling, and PC World catastrophic.

PC World sold us a computer that died after a month. They tried to argue we had to accept a repair, so we said okay. They spent two months trying to repair it and failed, then refunded us. We asked for a refund for the copy of Office we'd paid to put on it and they refused, saying it was our responsibility to back up all data. Backing up a copy of Office for another PC would fall under "pirating" and be exceedingly illegal. hmm I'd rather buy from a market stall, frankly.

I'd always pay more to go with John Lewis or Amazon, but if you can get a cheap deal with Amazon (NOT a marketplace seller using them as a portal) I'd say go for it over JL. Their aftercare has been good for us when a camera went soon after purchase. No fuss replacement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now