Talk

Advanced search

need satnav for new job driving lots of country roads ,tom tom or navigon...help!

(8 Posts)
ggirl Sat 09-Jul-11 10:20:46

am satnav virgin

ggirl Sat 09-Jul-11 12:10:15

bump

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 09-Jul-11 12:14:31

Personally I'd get a good map. If you're in the country they often send you on a wild goose chase (literally).

Sorry not much help there smile

Good luck with the new job.

oldenoughtowearpurple Sat 09-Jul-11 12:16:30

go to halfords and try them all out; decide what you like in terms of screen sensitivity
i have a tom tom, have always had them and not seen any reason to change - suspect the differences between them all are tiny or nothing
but i do have the Live version which picks up live traffic information and diverts you round it. that is fabulous.

oldenoughtowearpurple Sat 09-Jul-11 12:19:23

Which? in March best buys were TomTom Via Live and Garmin Nuvi 3760T 3790T or 1490T

wahine12 Sat 09-Jul-11 12:37:37

Tom Tom have just released (are in the process of releasing) a new software platform for the Via and Live models. This means that you can't buy new maps except online through download (used to be on SD card or similar). This is fine in theory, but Tom Tom haven't yet released that part of the website yet - i.e. you can't buy maps of other countries etc. Basically you are a beta tester for their website. This is a real shame as I love the Via 180 that I have otherwise. I was just pissed off at being a guinea pig for their software. And it is a little annoying that it wants you to plug it into your computer evey week for a software update. That's my two cents on the Tom Tom. Might be better in the UK as I bought mine in NZ...

DanFmDorking Sat 09-Jul-11 13:59:56

I have a TomTom and I'm very pleased with it.
It is easy to operate and understand.
I get regular Map and speed cameras updates.

ggirl Sat 09-Jul-11 15:26:55

nah can't be arse with a map
will be visiting patients all day and will probably crash with maps
the tom tom via live sounds good
thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now