Talk

Advanced search

Tempur mattresses - worth the money or not?

(22 Posts)
EldonAve Tue 14-Jun-11 21:29:28

I'm sure it's been discussed before...
I want a super firm mattress but the Tempur is twice the price of the next best regular one

your thoughts please

mummyosaurus Tue 14-Jun-11 21:33:24

We've had a tempur for about 4 years and I love it, so comfortable, sleep really well and neither of us troubled with a bad back anymore.

For us it was worth every penny and I can't imagine ever buying anything else.

EldonAve Wed 15-Jun-11 08:45:52

thanks

Jux Wed 15-Jun-11 08:54:13

We've had ours for about 4yrs too. I love it, dh hates it.sad

EldonAve Wed 15-Jun-11 11:04:06

oh dear, why does he hate it?

Jux Wed 15-Jun-11 16:39:32

First, he doesn't find it comfortable; apparently this is not entirely unheard of, and a very good reason for buying it from Tempur as you can have for some time and then send it back if you don't like it. We bought it from a bed shop down the road who gave a 10% discount but no return policy.

Second, he says you don't get that lovely feeling of cold sheets when you move a different part of the bed. Actually, I think you do, but what do I know? grin

Jux Wed 15-Jun-11 16:40:05

you can have it for some time .....

EldonAve Wed 15-Jun-11 19:29:39

do you think anyone ever returns them?

Jux Thu 16-Jun-11 08:33:55

I have no idea. You could ring them up and ask them?

You're right to be cautious though, a new mattress is not only bloody expensive, but can have a major effect on your life. The difference between a good night's sleep or not.

Have you tried one? Do you know anyone who has one so you could spend maybe an hour on their bed? You'd need to know them pretty well, wouldn't yougrin

EldonAve Thu 16-Jun-11 21:15:19

I tried one in John Lewis this week, it seemed like it could be good

JamInMyWellies Thu 16-Jun-11 21:20:19

Love love love it. I was very sceptical about buying one as we had the pillows and I didn't like them gave me a sore neck but DH insisted and apart from the still annoying 2 yr old DS disturbing my sleep its the best nights sleep I have ever had. Super comfy and I now use the pillow too with no sore neck. Definitely worth the money.

EldonAve Sat 18-Jun-11 19:26:12

hmmm might have to get DH to a shop and make him try one

ChunkyPickle Sat 18-Jun-11 19:29:40

We have the Ikea memory foam one (cos we're too cheap to buy the real thing) and I love it (managed to sleep tummy down on it till about 34 weeks!).

What I really like compared to a sprung mattress is I don't feel DH's fidgetting anywhere near as much.

tumteetum Sat 18-Jun-11 19:32:57

I love it, no back pain anymore, don't wake up when DH turns over. It is warm though, I get too hot in summer

ladyruby Sat 18-Jun-11 19:32:57

Hate mine, like lying in quick sand with none of the snuggle factor of a sprung mattress. It's been banished to the spare room.

My parents love theirs - bit of a marmite thing

EldonAve Sat 18-Jun-11 20:28:20

those of you who love it
do you like softer mattresses?

Jux Sat 18-Jun-11 20:54:03

No, I hate soft mattresses and they wreck my back, can't straighten up in the morning and in pain all day. Used to have a proper futon which was hard as anything, was fantastic.

tumteetum Sat 18-Jun-11 21:08:24

No I like really firm mattress otherwise same as Jux I can't straighten my lower back in morning. If it had a stay cool cover if such a thing exists would be perfect mattress

mummyosaurus Sat 18-Jun-11 21:08:57

No I definitely like a firmer mattress.

DH got a bad back from our firm mattress, but the tempur sorted it out.

Halogen Sat 18-Jun-11 21:54:23

Worth it, worth every penny. Have not been troubled with any kind of back problem since we got ours. I think the nice thing about Tempur is that it is firm but manages to feel soft at the same time.

EldonAve Mon 20-Jun-11 13:48:41

thanks

CodnChips1 Fri 01-Jul-11 14:04:10

As an aside, definitely not worth buying a Tempur mattress for children. They're not heavy enough to benefit for the body moulding effect and kids generate quite a lot of body heat and Tempur mattresses can be a bit sweaty making.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now