Talk

Advanced search

retractable swimming pool fence for gparents who don't think one is even neccessary!

(6 Posts)
kenobi Thu 02-Jun-11 10:57:18

My normally lovely, sane parents have decided that we don't need a fence to stop my 18 month old from falling in the pool. Despite the fact they also think she should have freedom to potter round the garden by herself, on the grounds that she is a naturally cautious baby hmm and it will look ugly.

So has anyone ever heard of a retractable swimming pool fence? It only need to go round one end of the pool as the other three are naturally fenced off by low stone walls.

scurryfunge Thu 02-Jun-11 11:04:10

We had trouble finding anything suitable, so made our own. We fixed wire fencing to a pole and it rolls up back to another pole when not in use.

Depending on what type of pool it is, can you get a pool cover and also a pool alarm? The easiest thing to do is not have the child in the garden at all -you would be supervising an 18 month old anyway.

scurryfunge Thu 02-Jun-11 11:10:13

We also thought about some sort of portable fencing that can be easily moved but it is quite pricey.
like this

kenobi Fri 03-Jun-11 14:16:49

"you would be supervising an 18 month old anyway'...

I know, I know, that's her argument - it's just I can see my mum deadheading a rose or something, then DD would be off like a rocket.

Thank you for the link, that looks really good.

AngelaBrown Tue 14-Jun-11 17:20:32

Here is a link to a pool fence I had fitted http://www.poolfence.com/ I have a house in Portugal with a pool and have lived in Florida in the past, when I lived in Florida pool fences became a legal requirement because there were so many drownings of young children. You can't be too cautious, even if you are there when the toddler is there you only need to turn your back, it happened to me but thankfully I saw it just in time, there were 7 adults around the pool at the time (my sister in laws house in the uk with no fence) and my 18 month old had his swim gear off for moments whilst he was drying off and just stepped in to the pool - no splash- everyone was chatting etc and I suddenly saw him going under! I jumped in fully clothed but it brought it home to me how these things can happen so easily. The pool fence I have at my house in Portugal is easily taken down and stored away when you are not visiting and when you are it gives peace of mind! so you can all relax. I hope this helps. I did a lot of research and this is the best one, I had it sent from the states (5 years ago) but I think by now there will be a UK dealer.

butternut234 Thu 23-Jun-11 03:01:56

Gosh they're a legal requirement here in Australia - you can even get the council on your neighbours if they don't have one that's up to scratch - tell your Mum drowning is SILENT - and only takes seconds. You could try using the line that if she wants you to help your toddler to explore more on her own, you're never going to do it without a proper, permanent (tall!) pool fence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now