Talk

Advanced search

First shoes for kids... Brands please

(7 Posts)
joymaker Tue 24-May-11 15:12:17

Are there any other brands out there apart from clark's first shoes that are as good in terms of fit.

I'm going to get my DS's feet measured again as I'm sure he needs a bigger size. I bought clark's the first time which are great, but thought I might try something else in terms of style if the fit is just as good.

Thanks in advance

Ooopsadaisy Tue 24-May-11 15:21:50

From just reading your thread title, I was going to shout "Don't go to Clarks! - They will blister your child!" but it is clear that you found them ok.

They managed to blister DS at 14 months and then, stupidly, I took DD there at the same age and they blistered her too.

I have never had "fitted" shoes for DCs since.

Just get them to stand on a piece of paper, draw round their feet and cut it out.

Then go to the shops and fit the cut-out into the shoes. You can buy them shoes when they are not even with you!

DCs are now teens. I've never blistered them, so I don't need over-priced shops to do so!

I think if you were happy with the fitting the first time, you should stick with the same person who measured your DS. I wouldn't risk blistering a young child for the sake of style.

starfishmummy Tue 24-May-11 15:36:14

I think its not so much the brand of shoe, but the fitting. We take DS to a long established independent shoe shop (my mum took me there!) where the fitters are well trained etc and they offer a small range of shoe brands including Clarks.

joymaker Tue 24-May-11 22:03:02

Ooopsadaisy I've only bought the cruising shoes so far so my ds (12 months)hasn't had a pair of walking shoes yet so I'll bear the blistering remarks in mind!

Seona1973 Wed 25-May-11 21:03:47

neither of my kids have had blisters from Clarks shoes (age 7 and 4)

feralgirl Sun 29-May-11 14:50:39

After buying a few pairs of Clarks for DS I discovered Poddlers, sold by my local independent shoe shop. They are so much softer - but still v hard-wearing - and absolutely gorgeous. If you can get them, I highly recommend them.

Madlizzy Sun 29-May-11 14:52:45

Elaphantine shoes are lovely and DD's first tiny pair of shoes were made by them. I think they sell them in John Lewis. For my lot now, I go to a little independent shop nearby and buy startrite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now