Talk

Advanced search

What sisze trampoline do we really need??

(17 Posts)
mad4mainecoons Mon 18-Apr-11 08:15:04

Just looking for your advice or experiences folks. we are looking to buy a trampoline for our DC 13mo (im aware that she wont use it for a while!) ans almost 5. but what size do we really need?

we have a huge garden so space is not an issue but they do seem to jump in price quite steeply. i have seen 10ft ones with enclosures for £99 but was wondering if it was worth the extramoney to step up to a 12ft or even a 14ft one, but there are at least double the money!

any experience or advice would be great

what size do you have for your DC?

PurplePillow Mon 18-Apr-11 08:41:39

I have a 11yr old and a 3 yr old and just bought a 8ft with enclosure and find it is big enough, only one child allowed on at a time grin

I've heard through a friend that Tesco's have a sale coming up that will have a 8ft + enclosure for around the £50 mark, not sure if it's true but worth a look grin

amidaiwish Mon 18-Apr-11 08:45:43

we have an 8ft too and i think it is big enough. but i wouldn't want it bigger in our garden. as they get bigger they shouldn't be jumping on it together. mine spend loads of time on it, sitting, chatting, playing. best thing we bought. (DDs are 7 and 5)

friends with bigger gardens have bought oval ones, which are really good. jumpking i think.

Cattleprod Mon 18-Apr-11 08:45:53

My niece and nephew have a 14 foot trampoline. They are 12 and 14 and still use it nearly every day. They can both jump together, and as it has an enclosure they use it as a kind of den with their mates.

We only have room for a 10 footer. I can't see the point of anything much smaller than that, as it won't be useful for as long.

5inthebed Mon 18-Apr-11 08:47:53

We have a 10ft one and it fits all three ds on aged 7, 5 and 2.

Scholes34 Mon 18-Apr-11 08:48:40

We've a 12ft one. Bought it five and a half years ago with DCs were 8, 7 and 5. They still play on it, almost daily in the good weather, now that they're 13, 12 and 10. Yes, yes, I know you're only supposed to have one on at a time, but all three do go on it together every now and again. The two DSs spend hours playing football on it - tackling each other - and the net keeps the ball in play. My DD will lounge on it with her friends.

12ft is a good size and if you have the space, go for this. 14ft is larger than you really need.

It's a case of you get what you pay for. A good one will last a long time, and there's a lots of fun to be had for many years. A much better buy than a climbing frame.

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Apr-11 08:57:51

We have an 8 foot one, fine for DS and a friend. Seems to take up most of garden! Was B&Q bargain with net at end of last summer.

Like the idea of lounging on it, although pg, may never be able to get out!

virginiasmonalogue Mon 18-Apr-11 09:00:51

I have a 12,8,6,4,a d 9m old and an 8ft trampoline. The 4yold learnt to walk on it when she was 1 ish. The baby loves sitting on it bouncing too!

movingsoon Mon 18-Apr-11 20:46:02

Look on tp web site tells you what the recommended weight is for the different sizes. You want it to last. Do you want to be able to go on it to?

uggmum Mon 18-Apr-11 20:54:59

We have a 16ft, oval springless trampoline. It was expensive (£600) but we have had it for 5 years and it is still going strong. Because it has no springs it is 90% safer than a trampoline with springs (this is due to the way the enclosure is attached as it has no hard poles). My dc are on it all the time.

You can view them on www.springfreetrampoline.co.uk (sorry I can't do the link thing). They have gone up a bit in price since I bought mine, I would buy it again though if mine wears out. You can probably get it a it cheaper by shopping around.

SixtyFootDoll Sat 23-Apr-11 18:41:31

We have an 8 ft and my ds's aged 10& 8 both go on together, they would love a bigger one but I want some space in my garden

youngjoly Sun 24-Apr-11 01:08:03

depends if you plan on allowing more than one child on at once.

I have a 7 and a 4 year old. They are not allowed to bounce together, and so 8ft is more than big enough for one child.

If you were going to allow more than one child on at a time, then you will need bigger.

Personally though, I wouldn't as children sharing the trampoline causes the vast majority of accidents on the trampoline. "75% of accidents occur when the trampoline is being used by more than one person at once - and the lightest person is the most likely to be injured."

SophieMichael Tue 01-Jul-14 13:49:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

protrampolines Sat 13-Dec-14 12:53:38

Take at least 12ft trampoline for age 13+. Honestly, I would recommend even bigger but all depends if your daughter really means to use it. IF she is a gymnast or cheerleader then think about rectangle trampoline.

Tron15 Tue 31-Mar-15 14:11:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ballgoof Sat 26-Dec-15 17:33:37

We have a 15ft oval trampolime from jumpking - its amazing

adorableme Thu 07-Apr-16 09:40:46

Another important factor to keep in mind is the durability of the trampoline pads. Since they are exposed to outside elements, they must be able to withstand wear and tear. BEST TRAMP ONLINE JUDGE

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now