Talk

Advanced search

Amazon just said they can't deliver before Xmas

(28 Posts)
Northite Fri 17-Dec-10 18:08:57

Hi,

We've just chased some overdue orders on Amazon, and were told they had gone missing in the post. But I was stunned to hear that they wouldn't resend them as they probably wouldn't arrive by Christmas, even though their website's front page says you can still order for two days!

Order from them at your peril! angry

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Fri 17-Dec-10 18:10:49

when did you order?

This time of year, delivery time varies enormously IME. What a pain for you.

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Fri 17-Dec-10 18:12:13

they have different delivery servicesthough IIRC, if they send standard delivery, the packages might not arrive on time but don't they have an overnight service too?

Put on the thumbscrews and have another try I think

Northite Fri 17-Dec-10 18:12:51

4th December for one, 8th for the other. They were tracked, and they hadn't moved since the 4th & 9th respectively. Amazon didn't bother to tell me they were lost, or even reply to my email several days ago.

Its the admission they can't deliver but their website says they can that annoys me.

activate Fri 17-Dec-10 18:14:30

put them in the basket again and see what the website says today - if it says they can get them to you before christmas then get back in contact - if it says they can't not even if you pay extra then unfortunately that's the nature of the current postal crisis / snow

I personally find amazon amazingly reliable with excellent service

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Fri 17-Dec-10 18:15:24

they can still deliver and they will probably still get there on time. Write back that this is unacceptable

They are still offering the same products deliverable on time for xmas?

Northite Fri 17-Dec-10 18:17:08

The website says on the front page:

"2 days left to order for Christmas with First Class Delivery"

Both of these orders are in stock and able to be despatched.

But stuff them, I'll go and face the shops tomorrow and see if I can hunt them down.

I also have two other orders from about a week ago that haven't arrived. I've emailed them to complain and added that if they don't arrive by Xmas, I'm sending them back and reporting them to trading standards.

truffleshuffle Fri 17-Dec-10 18:19:44

I'm waiting for stuff from Amazon to be delivered too. I've chased it up and the website says they have been dispatched and should be here by 12th....mmm it's now 17th sad. wouldn't be too bad but it looks like the bulk of my order is in one parcel so lots of presents will be missing if they don't get here on time.
It is wrong that they're promising delivery by xmas though if they know they probably can't.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Dec-10 18:19:46

I'm in the same boat with missing orders from Amazon, but they haven't even replied to my emails. I do understand about the weather, etc but everyone else I've ordered from got their stuff to me. Some of those orders were after my Amazon order.

Northite Fri 17-Dec-10 18:22:35

I phoned them on 0800 496 1081. I had to wait a few minutes, but I got answers quickly.

Forget the email, I don't think they're bothering too much about them.

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Fri 17-Dec-10 18:24:01

yes I would imagine they are inundated and not responding to emails at all

truffleshuffle Fri 17-Dec-10 18:29:00

yes I agree Viva. I placed an order with Next and Gap and both orders arrived a couple of days later.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Dec-10 18:31:51

You do think if you order something 3 weeks before Xmas it should get here in time even with a little bit of snow.

moosemama Fri 17-Dec-10 19:12:21

If you check your Amazon despatch email (if you have one) there should be a reference number in it for you to use on the Royal Mail's Tracking website.

I have been waiting a week for the first part of a two-part order, which was apparently despatched before the one I received last Saturday. I was just about to complain to Amazon when I discovered the tracking number and found out that it arrived at the nearest big city's depot yesterday and was out for despatch from our local sorting office today.

That said, I still haven't received it. hmm

moosemama Fri 17-Dec-10 19:15:56

Scratch that, the tracking number in the email was from my Marks & Spencer order (which has apparently been 'being processed' in the North West for two days). hmm

I tracked the Amazon ones on their website and despite it saying my order was out for delivery from our local sorting office (3 mins from our house max) at 7 am this morning and being home all day, it still hasn't turned up.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Dec-10 20:24:06

I haven't got tracking numbers for either of my 2 Amazon orders.

MrsGuyOfChristmasBorn Fri 17-Dec-10 20:39:27

Well I had the 'inclement weather' baltantly lying excuse form Missguided when my ND delivery wasn't delivered the next day (had bought one of their tarty dress for a fancy dress party) despite the fact that the tracker showed it getting From Birmingham to London Bridge in a few hours, then languishing for 25 hours in the depot less than 2 miles from the delvery address.at my office. There was no snow, in fact a perfectly fine day on Wednesday in London - I could have probably hopped there & back in my lunch hour... They still haven't agreed to refund my postage yet, even tho' I bet they get a refund from the courier compnay. No more of theri tarty dresses for me grin

moosemama Fri 17-Dec-10 20:44:35

Viva, my mistake. Amazon don't give you tracking numbers, I got mixed up with an order from a different shop that's also awol.

On Amazon, you have to go into 'My Account' then 'Your Orders', then there should be a button on the right hand side at the top of each order that says 'Track Package'.

From there, you should be able to see its current status and click on a link to show its whole tracking history.

moosemama Fri 17-Dec-10 20:47:26

The Royal Mail Track and Trace website is down as well now. angry

KerryMumblesBahHumBug Fri 17-Dec-10 20:47:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

artydeb Fri 17-Dec-10 21:09:57

Similar story here - ordered on the 5th, dispatched from Amazon on 6th - now last seen languishing with royal mail and not moving from Yorkshire (!) That is very far from where it needs to be! No reply to email so I guessed it's a common story. TBH this is the first Amazon problem I've ever had from many many orders but it's still frustrating.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Dec-10 22:11:06

Amazon have replied to me. I need to sit tight till the 21st, they can't give me any tracking info. If on hte 21st the parcels haven't turned up I can order replacements which won't come in time for Xmas.

The funniest thing is the email to reply back to them on is sweepstake@amazon.co.uk. Is that because its a sweepstake/gamble as to whether or not your stuff turns up. grin

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Dec-10 22:12:42

Mossemamma I know how to track Amazon stuff normally but when I take hte steps like you describe it says "no tracking information available". There is no "track package" button for these orders like there usually is. smile

lilolilmanchester Fri 17-Dec-10 22:21:03

one of my orders was dispatched on 11th, estimated arrival 14th.... according to tracking info had an "arrival scan" at the National Distribution Centre on 15th (day after estimated arrival) no update since....... shame of it being these are revision guides for DS, not Christmas presents.

moosemama Fri 17-Dec-10 22:35:22

Ooops, sorry Viva. That's really odd. Sounds like they might have lost your order before it was even despatched. confused

Honestly, you'd think they would be geared up for being busier at this time of year and as for using the snow as an excuse, I can sort of see how it might cause a backlog and some delays, but the sheer amount of missing parcels is ridiculous. I have awol parcels from Amazon, Marks & Spencer and Cox & Cox, all of which were despatched during the last lot of snow. Dh ordered my christmas present from a private seller on Folksy as well and that's also gone walkabouts.

Dh has a theory that there could conceivably have been a lot of postal/delivery theft with people using the chaos resulting from the 'adverse weather' as 'cover'.

He used to be a courier years ago and he also said the distribution centres have cages full of damaged packages or packages that have lost their address labels etc, nothing is ever done with any of it and its all just thrown away eventually. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now