Talk

Advanced search

I need a new casserole dish. Does it HAVE to be a Le Creuset?

(20 Posts)
SnowyGonzalez Sun 12-Dec-10 15:17:53

Here's what I'm after: something that will go from hob to oven to table. About 6L capacity. And, ideally not something my granny would like to look at. The only search results I'm getting are for a LeCreuset which is an eye-watering £130 when reduced! I know it's an investment, yadda yadda. But can anyone recommend a good alternative at a significantly lower price?

ChristianaCatesby Sun 12-Dec-10 15:21:02

Le Creuset is often reduced on amazon and at TK Maxx. It is great.

But also IKEA has some very good 'higher end' stuff - ie not the basic threepence stuff, but things like this. I have a couple of small Favorit frying pans and they are BRILLIANT - better than my le creuset

ChristianaCatesby Sun 12-Dec-10 15:21:46

here's a cast iron one

SpringHeeledJack Sun 12-Dec-10 15:40:21

John Lewis have a nice range which is loads cheaper

...beware if you have an aversion to sccccrrrrrapy noises though

<gnnnnnnngh>

autodidact Sun 12-Dec-10 15:51:33

I've seen Le Chasseur recommended though haven't tried one myself. Mind you, it seems almost as expensive as Le Creuset now. I need a new casserole soon so will watch this with interest.

thisisyesterday Sun 12-Dec-10 15:54:00

no, it doesn't have to be, you can buy whatever brand you like wink

how about this one?

thisisyesterday Sun 12-Dec-10 15:55:36

or here scroll down

thisisyesterday Sun 12-Dec-10 15:55:55

this is nice

mummydarlingsausage Sun 12-Dec-10 16:37:03

we have one of these - it is brilliant - looks great and a lot lighter than le creuset which we also have but i find too heavy. the emile henry's are easier to clean imo

NorbertDentressAngelOnTheTree Sun 12-Dec-10 16:39:05

We have a Chasseur one thats been great.

Cheaper but equally as heavy -I can hardly lift the thing off the hob!

SnowyGonzalez Sun 12-Dec-10 17:42:27

Yesterday, you're a cheeky monkey! But you're also extremely helpful, so I'll let you off grin!

Thank you all, I've never heard of any of those brands/ websites, you are all brill. grin

IAmReallyFabNow Sun 12-Dec-10 17:48:20

Le C came out worst in a recent test I read.

autodidact Sun 12-Dec-10 18:46:04

Are there any which are dishwasher safe? [flazy but hopeful]

thisisyesterday Sun 12-Dec-10 19:25:41

i tell you what, my old employer had one of the giant le creuset ones and when it was full I couldn't get it out of the oven, it was just wayyyyy too heavy

might be worth looking at pampered chef too? i know they're also expensive but they do stoneware stuff that I think is dishwasher safe?

or other option would be a metal one? as long as it has no plastic bits obv, you'll be fine in oven and in dishwasher

IAmReallyFabNow Sun 12-Dec-10 19:49:37

You can't put Pampered Chef stoneware in the dishwasher.

slopingsite Sun 12-Dec-10 20:03:21

I think le C are probably overrated, and certainly overpriced. Cast iron is cast iron surely?

I have two chasseur ones. One bought in France I think and one in Tk max, and both really good ( as good as mum's le C). I've looked at the ikea ones too and they feel good quality.

They are an investment, but why pay 2 or 3 times as much just for a name?

SnowyGonzalez Sun 12-Dec-10 20:06:53

Fabnow, I didn't know that about LeC. Makes me all the happier that I've chosen the --ponce-free-- cheaper option.

SnowyGonzalez Sun 12-Dec-10 20:08:31

Hmm, my attempt at strikeout was a miserable failure!

Yesterday, I prefer the look and feel of a ceramic/ cast-iron pot, so that's my first choice.

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 12-Dec-10 20:11:56

Try Viners, they have some hob/oven dishes, quite reasonably priced.

thisisyesterday Sun 12-Dec-10 20:13:57

oops sorry, thought you could!

actually, thinking about it (i've only ever been to one party) don't you just scrape it off or something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now