Talk

Advanced search

Graduate from mini-micro to two-wheeled scooter?

(12 Posts)
cornflakegirl Mon 08-Nov-10 13:45:23

DS1 is 5 and has had a mini micro scooter for nearly 3 years (since he was 2.5). He currently has two wheel envy, and we're considering getting him a new scooter for Christmas. However, he loves being able to do sweeping corners on his scooter, can't yet ride a bike without stabilisers (not that we've made much effort there) and he rides the mini micro pretty hard (has pretty much destroyed the front bit of the footplate from driving it into the front door, have recently replaced one set of bearings, and the front wheels are quite worn).

So - should we buy him a two-wheeled scooter, or will it be a bit disappointment that he has to scoot much more carefully than he does now?

And, if we do go two-wheeled, what brand should we get? Is the micro sprite worth the money?

shortandsweet2 Mon 08-Nov-10 13:48:20

Why don't you try one of these

It does them up til they are 12.

cornflakegirl Mon 08-Nov-10 14:11:31

He doesn't really need a new three-wheeled scooter - his current one still functions okay. It's just that he thinks he wants a two-wheeled one.

amazonianwoman Tue 09-Nov-10 11:07:39

Yes, go for the Micro two-wheeler. Got DD one for her 5th birthday (never had a mini Micro) and she took to it easily. Taught her to balance so well that she quickly learned to ride her bike soon after.

And it will last forever - I often scoot home on DD's after she has scooted to school, and I'm 5ft9 grin

cornflakegirl Tue 09-Nov-10 13:55:43

I like the idea of it teaching him to ride his bike. I just really don't want him to be disappointed by it. I'm so indecisive!

Catilla Tue 09-Nov-10 13:58:21

We've had good success with the Micro Sprite... same company, same good quality. We're even allowed to have a go - think it takes up to 100kg!

IlanaK Tue 09-Nov-10 14:03:13

We got a 2 wheeled micro for ds2 when he was 6 after his using the mini micro. He hates it. Now looking at getting the maxi micro.

cornflakegirl Wed 10-Nov-10 10:59:22

Now I'm even more indecisive! Thanks both ;)

Bert2e Wed 10-Nov-10 11:09:37

Go for 2 wheels!

Both mine road 2 wheelers from the start at age 3 - they learn pretty quickly!

cornflakegirl Wed 10-Nov-10 20:31:01

Hmmm... I'm sure he could learn to ride a 2 wheeled one - it's just whether he'd prefer to stay on his 3-wheeler. The steering action is so different, and I don't know if the 3-wheeler is just more fun...

feetheart Wed 10-Nov-10 21:02:30

Hmmm, sounds familiar

DS was 5 on Sunday and after 3 years exceedingly hard use (new back wheel - due to too many puddles, new kickboard - due to too much running into walls, etc ) his MiniMicro was exchanged for a Maxi (the 'microphone' one - his description) When he opened the wrapping paper and saw the box he just hugged it for ages, not saying a word. Perfectly happy little boy grin
He can ride a 2-wheeler and a bike without stabilisers but the 3 wheelers are just SO MUCH FUN.

cornflakegirl Fri 12-Nov-10 13:22:05

Yeah, that's the scenario. DH suggested that we buy a new kickboard for the scooter to pass it down to DS2 - I pointed out that by the time we'd replaced all the other bits he's worn it, it'll be cheaper to buy a new one.

Think I probably need to let him have a go on a 2-wheeler so that he can decide if they're fun. Not sure how though - everyone we know has mini-micros!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now