Talk

Advanced search

What toy did your dc love at 6-12 months?

(14 Posts)
Issy42 Sat 06-Nov-10 16:03:27

DDs first birthday is coming up at the end of the month and I'm wondering what to get her. She's developmentally more like a 7 month old as she was premature.

Any recommendations for a good toy?

Budget is not huge as I'm on the nil pay bit of mat leave now and my house is very small so no room for anything too big.

mollymax Sat 06-Nov-10 16:05:43

stacking cups, mine still play with them in the bath.
shape sorter.
will try and think of some more.

Issy42 Sat 06-Nov-10 16:09:41

Thanks Molly. I got her some stacking cups (and rings) a couple of weeks ago as she just learned to sit up by herself and she does love them, though is a bit upset at how they fall down when she tries to pick up the stack, bless smile.

onadietcokebreak Sat 06-Nov-10 16:12:40

Leapfrog cube was a winner.

Playskool Glo worm for bed time

Little people toys (for her to grow into)

Issy42 Thu 11-Nov-10 18:48:54

Thank onadietcokebreak. I'd not heard of little people toys so with check those out.

ElspethDiggory Thu 11-Nov-10 20:10:12

Right, now listen carefully, I have your answer.
Well, actually this is the answer but I have looked all over the net and I can't find anywhere in the uk that has it in stock.

So, instead try this Basically a colourful bag that you can put all sorts of small things into for them to take in and out. these are perfect for putting in. As is this
this is a GREAT toy, although a bit big for a bag

With my dc the joy of the bag was the taking in and out, what was in there was interesting but mainly the taking in and out was the wow!

Oh that was fun! My dc are too old for that sort of stuff now and instead we are over-run with glitter and lego.

Issy42 Thu 11-Nov-10 23:56:42

Thanks Elspeth. Great suggestions. Really like the first thing, shame it's out of stock.

I loved lego - I'm looking forward to that stage grin

tessofderbyville Wed 17-Nov-10 22:59:45

A shape sorter
Wooden blocks
Baby push along walker with activities on front.
Happy Street farm from ELC.

Ahh...(brief nostalgic moment)

Issy42 Thu 18-Nov-10 00:07:34

Thanks Tess.

Just remembered my parents gave me £40 to buy her a present too so the more ideas the better.

Grumpla Thu 18-Nov-10 00:17:16

Lamaze bug thing. I think it is called Freddy The Firefly. They do loads of different animals, all nice and bright.

Mirror toy which makes a noise when you touch it.

DS wasn't really into blocks, walker etc until 14mo at least although he loves them now.

everybodysgotone Thu 18-Nov-10 00:24:06

Ride on toy along these lines

Board books

Stacking cups

Wooden blocks

Small plastic pushchair

Mirrors

Toy keys, toy mobile phone, toy remote control (although my DD preferred the real thing these were an acceptable substitute)

When she was one my DD loved her trike: this ones a bit OTT but you get the idea

spamm Thu 18-Nov-10 03:17:36

I give all my friends with new babies the Tomy Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs - these are the best and babies love them!!! Have just bought another set for my new nephew for Christmas. They are a must!

Issy42 Fri 19-Nov-10 16:13:57

Thanks everyone.

Issy42 Mon 22-Nov-10 12:19:10

Thanks for all your help.

I got this shape sorter which is made by the same people as the one Elspeth suggested, this activity centre to grow into and this alphabet train from her grandparents.

Also got this rocking horse for Christmas, which will arrive tomorrow, just in case the activity centre doesn’t arrive on time and the Tomy eggs as a stocking filler.

Probably gone against all my criteria for low cost and space saving but she’s only one once and she didn’t get a Christmas present from me last year (we only came out of hospital 6 days before and she was quarantined until she hit 5lb - she did have loads of new baby things though, I was just in too much of a daze to wrap one up and call it a Christmas present).

And of course, after all that, she will more interested in the boxes and wrapping paper grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now