Talk

Advanced search

Salt & Pepper mills that actually WORK

(18 Posts)
JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Nov-10 15:29:06

I'd like to get a decent set for my parents as they have dozens of the bloody things and they're ALL useless. We have a good one but it's discontinued now, so looking to MN wisdom for inspiration.

They prefer either the clear type like this, or the traditional wooden ones, and I don't think they'd be keen on anything with a battery wink

Many thanks in advance

scurryfunge Fri 05-Nov-10 15:31:31

Probably not what they want but I want these

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Nov-10 15:33:00

ooh, I quite want those too

I'm not kidding, they have about 6 sets. ALL crap. hmm

mylifewithstrangers Fri 05-Nov-10 15:33:28

Ooh that's one of my holy grails too. Just yesterday I unearthed 2 sets from the back of the cupboard during a clear out. neither was cheap - both are useless (the worst being a wooden tube with some kind of metal top that houses the turning mechanism, the metal is far heavier so they fall over at the drop of a hat Grrrr)

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Nov-10 15:34:51

I can go up to about £50 ish as it would be a joint present..

Mutt Fri 05-Nov-10 15:35:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

champagnesupernova Fri 05-Nov-10 15:35:12

We have these in a funky hmm 70s colourway.

They're made by Peugeot, the car people, who made GEARBOXES before they made cars (bet ya didn't know that emoticon) so the (ahem )grinding mechanism works VERY well.
HTH

FreeButtonBee Fri 05-Nov-10 15:52:49

I have a pegueot pepper grinder. Don't laugh! It's brilliant. Works like a dream.

here

They are not cheap but I feel like a chef everytime I use it and I can't imagine that I will ever need to replace. I have the really tall one. It's fab.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Nov-10 17:55:44

ooh, two recommendations for peugeot ones, that's promising

Mutt - sadly I don't think they'd go for the design of the lakeland ones, shame as they're quite a bit cheaper!

littleomar Fri 05-Nov-10 17:59:44

another recommendation for peugeot pepper mills. worth the money, i reckon.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Nov-10 18:19:58

um... My Mum's just emailed me and requested this

confused x 100000000

scurryfunge Fri 05-Nov-10 19:23:01

I have bought my mum this

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Nov-10 19:53:23

oooh scurry, I think you may have something there! You're a genius!

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Nov-10 19:59:17

I'm wondering if this kind of thing really deserves it's own thread

[boggles]

bacon Sun 14-Nov-10 22:05:10

Peugeot - expensive but def work. Watch out too you must use the dry sea salt this is why they clog up. The box must state suitable for grinders not the usual sea salt.

Mooos Tue 16-Nov-10 04:29:24

Another vote for Peugeot here.

ToothpasteMakesMeGag Sun 21-Nov-10 20:35:06

If you buy Cole and Mason ones, they have a lifetime guarantee. We actually managed to break a C&M pepper ball and they replaced it without a murmur, paid postage and everything. The pepper balls are fab btw

ArentFanny Sun 21-Nov-10 20:42:07

here we have these ones, the salt one gae up early as salt corrodes most mechanisms but the pepper one is still going strong, we also have these and just buy the appropriate salt/pepper

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: