Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about school milk...

(9 Posts)
winestein Thu 12-Nov-09 18:30:30

I have searched the archives but can't find anything relevant - I have just found out that DS (aged 4.10) has not been getting milk at school as he has "paid for water".

I have no problem with him being given water at all - it's his main drink at home, BUT we were sent a letter a few weeks ago, reminding parents about money for milk, which also stated the rules, including a bullet pointed "Free school milk for under 5's"

The reply slip had 2 responses:

I enclose a cheque for blah blah blah

I do not wish my child to have milk.

I hand wrote in, my child is under 5 so I wish him to have the free school milk.

I am, shall we say, experiencing anger to have just found out that he does not get milk at school.

What are the rules? Should he have free school milk (as an under 5 - he is 5 in December)? I googled but couldn't find anything.

Advice very much appreciated. Thank you!

badietbuddy Thu 12-Nov-09 18:31:51

I didn't know any children got free school milk anymore.

dilemma456 Thu 12-Nov-09 18:40:18

Message withdrawn

happyharry Thu 12-Nov-09 18:58:07

This is a gripe I have with our school. We have to pay snack money for milk and a snack. However. I thought that schools got free heathy snacks for young children.

mrz Thu 12-Nov-09 18:59:21

It varies from area to area and school to school. My reception class get free milk

IdrisTheDragon Thu 12-Nov-09 19:01:29

At DS's school there is a mixed nursery/reception class. For nursery it is definitely free - not sure when in the term they turn 5 they have to pay for it (ie may be the whole of the term so in our school your DS would have to pay for it).

wheresthehamster Thu 12-Nov-09 19:04:32

Our reception children get full-fat milk under 5 (free) or semi-skimmed if over 5 (paid).

The schools' free fruit and veg scheme is available to all ks1 children but I think the school have to apply to join. Don't know about independent schools.

winestein Thu 12-Nov-09 19:41:57

Thanks guys. Glad to know it's on an individual basis, but am annoyed given the text of the letter which was sent out. I could have easily paid but the letter was possibly poorly worded. Given my response I feel it would have been appropriate to at least have said "ah, no, that's not what we meant".

I'm in tomorrow so I'll speak to the headmaster and explain.

thecloudhopper Thu 12-Nov-09 21:40:46

We are so lucky then in Wales all our chilren in the infants who want it have free milk. They realy enjoy it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now