Talk

Advanced search

ds shaking when reads aloud to teacher

(5 Posts)
pixie153 Thu 12-Nov-09 16:53:10

Hismile,
This is my first time on mumsnet so bear with me.
Compelled to join as had parents evening re my 6yr old ds last night which left me worried. Hubbie and I went into the room quietly confident as ds seems happy with school generally and seems so be doing well. Teacher concerned that ds physically shaking when he reads aloud with her or other colleagues.
We were surprised as he is a confident if reluctant reader at home (typical boy!). He's ORT stage 5.
He is quite a sensitive child and hates to be the centre of attention so I'm assuming he is just a little nervous and maybe feels he's under pressure to perform.
The teacher didn't seem to have come across this before which is why I'm a little worried.
If anyone else has had a similar experience with their child I'd love to know.
Would be nice to think this is normal.
Thanks

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 12-Nov-09 17:23:57

Message withdrawn

LetsEscape Thu 12-Nov-09 17:34:05

Poor thing you really want to turn this around or it will always bother him in the future to read aloud in class etc.I agree with Pixie , drama is a great idea.

Ask the teacher if reading is done with child standing up by teacher's desk or in a comfy seat both in a 'sharing' book way. One feels like a test the other is a really nice experience. Can the others over hear? And is he lagging in his reading?

Also perhaps just reading in unison with the adult may relax him.

Does your son have a view about this?

I had the same thought as LetsEscape - how is the reading with the teacher done?

foxinsocks Thu 12-Nov-09 17:53:24

I'm amazed this is the first time the teacher has come across it. My son was also like this (though he had a speech impediment which didn't help).

He now reads in groups which he likes.

Good for your son for actually doing it even though he's scared!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now