Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

where is the bst way of finding out about clubs

(8 Posts)
foxy1 Tue 10-Nov-09 18:13:08

hello

my little boy is in reception and wanted to find out where is the best place to find out about clubs, i.e cubs, football, music etc.

What age do you think is best to look at clubs, don't want to overload them. i am a stay at home mum. thank you

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 10-Nov-09 18:16:18

library, school gate chat, local sports centre/leisure centre

BUT

take it from me, he will not really be up for much til yr 1, reception is KNACKERING

southeastastra Tue 10-Nov-09 18:23:40

local county council website should have a list too

primarymum Tue 10-Nov-09 18:54:44

Round here you need to put their name down for cubs at birth! (slight exaggeration but not much

seeker Wed 11-Nov-09 08:08:38

I would go for Beavers and leave it at that - he'll have enough to do with starting school. You'll probably have to go on a waiting list for Beavers anyway - so do that as soon aas you can.

bruffin Wed 11-Nov-09 08:20:59

He will be too young for beavers if he has just started school, buyt as others have said a lot oaf packs do have a waiting list. However when DS started I was told it would be lucky ifhe got in before 7 and we were offered a place on his 6th birthday.

DD was so tired after school when she started school we endedn having to srop he dance classes, so it might be better to find something on a saturday morning.

billynomatesmum Wed 11-Nov-09 15:10:55

You will probably find out gradually by word of mouth or reading school/community centre/village hall notice boards or by internet googling.

Get his name down for your local Beavers pack waiting list and by the time he is old enough to start he should have enough after-school energy to cope with it. He may not be too tired yet but by the end of the Christmas term ,with nativity play rehearsals/performances/Christmas party etc he will be very tired if my ds and his reception class mates were anything to go by.

Swimming is a very useful skill and getting confidence in the water is an important start to actual swimming itself. I'd look out for a weekend swimming class for him. Football/Rugby/Tennis/Cricket/Dance/Gymnastics/Trampolining etc training/clubs are best kept to a weekend too at this stage in his life as he really may not be up to it after school as this term progresses. Maybe once a week after school at the most.

isgrassgreener Wed 11-Nov-09 17:50:22

I signed my first DS up for far to much in reception and he ended up dropping out of most clubs, then when he was older said "oh I tried that and didn't like it" so ended up doing very few clubs.

I wouldn't do too much. DS2 started clubs in yr2 and has enjoyed them much more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now