Talk

Advanced search

Concentration issues with DD, 5 in Year 1

(2 Posts)
southernbelle77 Tue 10-Nov-09 14:41:26

Had parents evening last night with dd's teacher. She said that dd is doing well in all areas but could be doing so much better if she would just concenrate! She is easily distracted and often takes far too long to do her work. Her teacher has said that on occasions she has made her stay in with a ta to finish when the others have gone out to play to show her that she needs to work faster, and then she can work much faster! I am happy for her to do this as I know dd can daydream and it takes her ages to get things done. We have decided that we will both try sticker charts, at school and at home to see if this will help her along, and also trying to see if maybe getting a timer so she can see how much time she has will help. This does work at home to some degree so hoping it might work at school too.
Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can help her concentrate more?
The teacher wasn't worried as such and said that it could be a maturity thing which will get better as she gets older (she one of the youngest in the class). I know she's not the only one in the class like it, but I really want to try and help her fulfil her full potential.

andlipsticktoo Tue 10-Nov-09 14:55:49

ds3 was exactly the same in Y1. This year has seen a massive improvement! Don't worry unless your dd teacher seems to think it is a problem. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now