Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

any music teachers out there? want to buy a first violin

(9 Posts)
wheelsonthebus Tue 10-Nov-09 11:11:02

can someone give me some advice on buying a violin for a five year old - not expensive but something that she can effectively play with/on. Is there a second hand music shop or something online? Any ideas welcome.

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 11:12:54

Message withdrawn

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 10-Nov-09 11:18:55

We've just bought a quarter size violin for dd, who's having lessons at school.

I spoke to both local music shops. Neither hires violins, because they run buy-back schemes; you buy the violin and then get about 60-70% back when you return it/trade it in for a bigger size. They both said that any hire arrangement would work out more expensive than that.

Agree that you need to speak to your local music shop.

MintyCane Tue 10-Nov-09 11:37:38

Cheaper to do they buy back thing here as well. A first violin is about 59 pounds including case bow and rosin and the music shop will buy it back 70% if you change your mind. It costs 50 pounds a year to hire anyway where we are.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 10-Nov-09 14:47:40

Where do you live Minty? DD's violin costs about double that. shock shock If that's what your local shop charges, I'm willing to travel to buy the next one!

MintyCane Tue 10-Nov-09 16:38:00

Devon it was a Stentor Standard outfit had a look online you can still get them for that much. Perfectly ok to start with.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 10-Nov-09 20:14:26

Gah! Ours is a Stentor too. So much for supporting local businesses.

Elk Tue 10-Nov-09 20:34:56

You will need to check with her teacher what size violin they like them to use. As some teachers like them to start on a slightly smaller size than they actually measure at (if that makes sense).

There is a healthy secondhand market on ebay for Stentor violins. (got dd's for £30)

madamearcati Wed 11-Nov-09 10:16:57

Violins are very cheap.Better to buy one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now