Talk

Advanced search

DS had to clear up another childs wee!!!

(16 Posts)
Northumberlandlass Tue 10-Nov-09 07:41:21

Well, that's it really.
DS came home from school yesterday and in the throws of chat about what he did at school he mentioned that the teacher asked him to mop up after a boy who had wet himself.

I am slighty shocked really.

The boy in questions sits with DS and apparently all the teachers were busy, so had asked DS to get paper towels to mop up the wee and then give the floor a wipe.

DS got upset when I questioned him and said "But Ms X asked me to do it" !

I am going to talk to the school today, but does anyone have any experiences / advice.....

saadia Tue 10-Nov-09 07:44:20

no experiences/advice, but you definitely need to bring it up. How old is ds? (not that it's that relevant).

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 10-Nov-09 07:50:59

I had to read that three times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Definitely something wrong there, why wasn't the peer the one cleaning up after himself?

haveemailedtoniandguy Tue 10-Nov-09 07:51:00

There are H&S rules about cleaning up bodily waste - YA would absolutely NBU to bring this up with them.

Northumberlandlass Tue 10-Nov-09 07:53:40

Thanks Ladies. DS is 6.
I was just gobsmacked !
x

Goblinchild Tue 10-Nov-09 07:54:47

Not appropriate for a child, and when I have to do it, I must use gloves and special powder to neutralise the urine and absorb it.
If the teachers are busy, you block off the area until an adult can deal with it.

Northumberlandlass Tue 10-Nov-09 08:00:50

Thank you Goblinchild, that's useful to know.
x

seeker Tue 10-Nov-09 08:19:15

But check that you've got the whole story before you go in all guns blazing. It sounds so incredible that there may be a misunderstanding - was your ds sure it was wee? Could the other child have spilled their drink and the children thought he had wet himself?

Northumberlandlass Tue 10-Nov-09 09:04:19

Hey Seeker - yes don't worry, I'm not the 'go in guns blazing' type. DS is full of stories at the moment..my DM helps in DS classroom this afternoon, so she is going to chat to DS teacher before I make any complaint.
Thanks

LynetteScavo Tue 10-Nov-09 09:10:55

Sounds like they need more TA's to me! Is there a full time TA? If not I think this is a good time to bring up with the head the need for one. I've found having a full time TA in the class room makes a huge difference, at any age of primary school.

If my 6 yo had been asked to clean up wee he would have ended up spereading it around half the class room.

At the age of 6, DS1 would have vimited at the request...who would have cleaned that up.

Surely it would have been better to keep the children away from the area untill an adult wwas able to deal with it?

Northumberlandlass Tue 10-Nov-09 09:13:53

I agree Lynette, that an adult should of done it. DS has a teacher, 2 x Full Time TA's (one general and one for SN boy).
That's why I was puzzled.
DS (bless him) would do pretty much whatever the teacher asked him to do.

I have to say, I hope they told him to wash his hands afterwards, it wouldn't of crossed DS mind !!
x

telsa Tue 10-Nov-09 09:54:33

I had to do this at my primary school once in the 1970s - I have never forgotten it!

Northumberlandlass Tue 10-Nov-09 22:01:15

Just thought I would update on this having discovered the facts !!

Apparently it was the very end of the school day on Monday and X had an accident and there was wee everywhere, DS Teacher asked DS to put towels on the floor where the wee was so that the cleaners could see where it was and sort it out.

When she turned around DS was cleaning the floor !

Apparently when DM had spoken to the teacher today, she said that she expected it to be raised.

x

Goblinchild Wed 11-Nov-09 07:58:53

A timely reminder to all to ask nicely before ranting!
What a well-raised child you have, considerate and helpful grin

Northumberlandlass Wed 11-Nov-09 10:39:18

Thank you Goblinchild! Quite right, I am pleased we got the full story.
x

Northumberlandlass Wed 11-Nov-09 10:40:15

and as for the well-raised child, considerate & helpful...hmmm he has his moments wink
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now