Talk

Advanced search

Is your school any good???

(9 Posts)
mary21 Mon 09-Nov-09 11:29:02

I was walking past our local church yesterday and saw all these parents with toddlers pouring in in the hope of getting there children into our local church schhool. If you attend the service there is virtually no children over the age of 5 there!This is a good not outstanding school in a middle class area. Ds2 attends it and DS1 has just left. Well is it a school worth giving up your Sunday mornings and changing your principles to get your child into ???? Not in my opinion. The results are good. But when you are withen the school you realise the use of private tutors is wide spread. In my sons year 3 class he was the only boy who wasnt doing Kumon or being tutored!. Communication withen the school is poor. Everyone is lovely but the dont tell you anything. Children are put on the special needs register and parents arent informed.As I put in another post child are put on a catch up program and the class teacher doesnt know what it is or is for. Behavioural problems arent nipped in the bud. But parents persist in the mythe that its a good school because they went out of there way to choose it. This is an area with lots of "good" schools. Luckily we got into the school before it became over subcribed and got in because it was our closest school. We didnt pawn our souls for no reason. i guess what I am trying to say is look carefully under the surface of the schools you go for& dont just go for the one that is over subscribed. A friend who has done lots of supply teaching in the area said the school with the best teaching is actually the worst acheiving school. The one with lots of travellers children, new immigrants and poor housing.

OrmIrian Mon 09-Nov-09 11:36:43

"A friend who has done lots of supply teaching in the area said the school with the best teaching is actually the worst acheiving school."

That doesn't surprise me mary. Good teaching isn't, thankfully, confined to the 'nice' schools!

smee Mon 09-Nov-09 12:02:24

Orm's right - we've got some dodgy SATs results, but the teaching/ curriculum's generally outstanding and inspiring. Good point though Mary - I've been amazed by the number of people who wouldn't even look at DS's school because it hasn't got a school uniform...!

Builde Mon 09-Nov-09 16:54:29

I agree with you Mary; I love my dds school. It isn't popular but as yet can't fault the teaching.

I think though, that if parents don't have to cut off an arm and a leg to get their child into a particularly popular school, they don't think they've made enough of an effort for their children. And they are therefore bad parents.

It's a shame there aren't more schools with no uniform; one of my many schools didn't have a uniform and it was great.

ihatemyjob Mon 09-Nov-09 18:49:20

I think most of the pushy parents around here are unconcerned with teaching or results they just want their child to be surrounded by children with similar backgrounds to themselves. Two schools near me are undersubscribed, one hasn't got great results but outstanding teaching but is full of transient children housed in a nearby estate so many people always slag it off. Another school is ofsted outstanding with top of the table results but is not popular because "The parents are quite rough" to give you one example of what a parent said to me. They are killing themselves to get into the most popular school which ironically has recently lost 3 members of staff to the first school I mentioned.

The snobbery is so widespread that even in my child's very mixed school I have heard some middle class (and church go-ers too!) say they wouldn't invite some kids back to tea or to a party cos they didn't know the parents or they were too rough.

Builde Tue 10-Nov-09 11:35:17

'i hate my job' you don't live on the south side of Bath, do you? It sounds like you are describing our local schools.

OrmIrian Tue 10-Nov-09 11:45:10

"Another school is ofsted outstanding with top of the table results but is not popular because "The parents are quite rough" to give you one example of what a parent said to me"

That school sounds like the one my eldest is at. Secondary. It's a fantastic place and he is very happy (and doing well). But my DD's class is due to go up next sept and even though it is the only outstanding school in the area, and there are nothing but good reports of it, there are still some parents I know who won't even consider it. Point blank refuse to accept that it might be the best (or even a good) choice.

MintyCane Tue 10-Nov-09 11:54:04

Same situation as Orm here. People start going to church to avoid our secondary when their kids are babies, but it is a great school. No one will beleive me though smile

ihatemyjob Tue 10-Nov-09 16:53:23

no, I live in west london

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now