Talk

Advanced search

Music lessons at school

(9 Posts)
Amy68 Sun 08-Nov-09 20:04:31

Does anyone on here have children who get music lessons at primary school? DD has been learning the flute this year (Year 6) and really enjoys it. It seems to give kids confidence, discipline, and something to enjoy all their life, and when they are good enough there are endless orchestras, bands they can join.

Some LEAs apparently don't value music so highly though. What are others experiences?

Amy

primarymum Sun 08-Nov-09 20:16:01

We are in the process of improving our music provision ( currently we offer french horn lessons to those in yrs 4-6 with an aptitude) we will be providing recorder lessons for all yr 3's, saxaphones for yr 4's on and french horn for 5's and 6's> this is through our LEA music service and the school pays for the lessons, the children do not. Currently those playing french horn ( we have about 10-we are a small school and only have 25 in yr4-6) are lent a horn to practise on, whether we can continue to do that with recorders and saxaphones I'm not sure.

Clary Sun 08-Nov-09 20:55:32

All 3 of mine are doing music and have all started this term (apart from DD's recorder, for last 2 yrs).

So we have piano, clarinet, French horn and 2 recorders. It's totally fab and I am really happy. So are they btw and v keen to practice.

They are yr 2, yr 4 and yr 6 btw.

We have bought recorders, French horn is hired (free at first I think?), clarinet is hired and piano is free for 6 mo then we can buy or hire. So not toooooo ruinous.

LilyBolero Sun 08-Nov-09 20:58:36

Ds1 started violin in Y1 at school, Dd started cello in Y1. They both love it and are doing well.

Instruments offered at school are violin, cello, recorder, flute, clarinet, trumpet, french horn, drums, piano.

(This is a state primary).

LilyBolero Sun 08-Nov-09 20:58:51

And voice!

LilyBolero Sun 08-Nov-09 20:59:23

and saxophone and guitar!!!

Katisha Sun 08-Nov-09 21:05:35

DSs started violin/cello in Yr 2 through county music scheme.

Toffeepopple Sun 08-Nov-09 22:35:57

Everyone does recorder in Year 2 for us, and can learn violin, etc, at a fee from Year 3 onward.

stealthsquiggle Sun 08-Nov-09 22:38:30

Top tip for piano acquisition (if you have space) is freecycle - we got ours that way and DS loves it - and I have seen plenty more advertised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now