Talk

Advanced search

Dealing with difficult behaviour

(4 Posts)
Cortina Wed 04-Nov-09 08:17:08

Since DC has started in a new class in year one they've become more challenging. They've got more disobedient and are pushing boundaries. All probably normal but didn't seem to have any issues before. An age thing?

What I don't know how to deal with is this situation, DC gets challenging and says this behaviour is 'whiny Sam' and refuses to walk along the road or co-operate. This carries on for a while and I get increasingly frustrated with them. Then suddenly they revert back to normal and say 'Good Sam is back'. 'Good Sam' stays around for a while and when I ask them to do something and they don't, they say it's because 'Whiny Sam' has come back in the room, do I want them to go to get 'good Sam'? Then 'crying Sam' makes an appearance, and well you get the picture!

'Good Sam' is very upset to have to forgo treats etc which I 'punish' because of the things that 'Whiny Sam' has done? Good Sam is mortified about being in trouble of any sort! Whiny Sam threw their shoes at the wall the other day which is something 'Good Sam' would never do?

With me so far??? I have no idea how to deal with this. Thanks

cherryblossoms Wed 04-Nov-09 09:26:59

It's almost certainly tiredness as a result of being back at school. That and the fact they have to rein it all in at school + learn loads of social stuff + learn the "learny" things. I guess it's v. stressful for them, so we get the crazy behaviour at home.

I remember this with my oldest - he used to go bananas. I thought he'd had some kind of accident and suffered a huge personality change. then one day the penny dropped - school.

I've forgotten it all with the youngest. She came home like a wild thing last night and I couldn't fathom what was going on until she went to bed.

The way to deal with it is to slow down, take a lot of deep breaths, be patient but keep boundaries, do everything far more slooowly (notice I said that twice - be prepared for a lot of that) and try to move to an earlier bed-time if possible.

Cortina Wed 04-Nov-09 09:42:56

Thanks so much!

Now that's really rung a bell with DC's early behaviour at nursery. They'd get in the car and go uncharacteristically ballistic! Like you I feared the worst and then things calmed down. I'll take your advice.

I'm glad you didn't mention multiple personality disorder, it went through my mind today when I was fed up with the 'three faces of Sam'!

bussus Wed 04-Nov-09 10:48:02

hi

my son got a'mouse' who is doing all the nauthy things...and also mention the 'good A' and the 'naughty A'. He is year 1 , a summer born child and always 'complains' about he is working,working all the time at school and no playing. I think is too much for them for this age. But this is here, back in my country kids of his age are still in nursery. No problem at school with his behaviour and being good for so long there is too much probably.He is usually wild after school.
But try to keep him busy - swimming, play day ,or lego ...and 30min homework. If I plan to do my own stuff than he became naughty, but if I just give him the 'push' of doing stg after that he is ok .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now