Talk

Advanced search

When do you do reading with your reception child?

(6 Posts)
specialmagiclady Tue 03-Nov-09 19:57:38

My DS1 was given a book bag before half term. He really enjoys reading and I want to get into the habit of doing it together most nights. When do you do it? I don't want to do it at bedtime as he's so tired he can't concentrate, and I want to keep DS2 aged 2 away to an extent so that it can be something special we do together. I don't want to turn it into a chore that I have to nag about and put him off reading For Ever etc etc.

But if I put DS2 in front of the telly so that I can do reading with DS1, DS1 just wants to join him. I don't want to rush straight in the door and do it immediately after school as I think a bit of a break is not a bad idea, but if I leave it too late he's involved in something else and I'm tearing him away from that... DILEMMA

How do you fit this new thing into your teatime routine? What happens to siblings when you're doing reading with one of your children?

wonderingwondering Tue 03-Nov-09 20:01:42

I have this dilemma! We've taken to picking the book up in the morning while we all sit in bed together for 20 mins or so before showers - that's when DS sees his dad so he reads his books to him. It only really takes 5 mins or so.

I'm on my own in the evening with my 2 DCs, and with a toddler it is impossible to distract her so he can concentrate. And he is tired after school.

marriedtoagoodun Tue 03-Nov-09 20:02:30

Reading at this stage should only take about 10 minutes. Could you walk home from school, play in the leaves, something to get some fresh air and rejuvenate your DS1 andthen come in and do reading - pretty much straight away. Then have a 10 minute programme that is special to your DS2 that he can watch.

We have one of those giant egg timers that is 15 minutes and that works well for the younger children as they can physicahally 'see' the time passing. Good for you too as sometimes you think it has only been 5 minutes and DS2 is being a pain but it has actaully been a good 20 minutes.

Getting in to the habit straight form school does mean you miss out on the tiredness assocaited with bedtime. Having said that we squeeze reading in whenever we can - sometimes in the car in the morning on reading day sat outside the school blush

marriedtoagoodun Tue 03-Nov-09 20:03:52

yes they can 'physicahally' see things... shame mummy did not learn how to spell blush blush

specialmagiclady Tue 03-Nov-09 21:02:14

Ah jahast asyou-ummed you frum the deep Saath.

Or something.

Thanks. Will try that.

Elk Tue 03-Nov-09 21:05:56

We used to do it straight after tea. Luckily my dd2 is a tv addict so she watched something that she liked whilst dd1 and I curled up together on my bed for 'mummy hugs and reading'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now