Talk

Advanced search

Just got dd to do a verbal reasoning test - question about score

(7 Posts)
sabire Tue 03-Nov-09 16:54:42

Last Friday I got a letter from a local comp we applied to for dd, inviting her to sit an entrance exam this weekend. It said that she'd be doing a verbal reasoning and a non-verbal reasoning test. Anyway - nipped out and got one of those Bond books and had dd do one of their sample non-verbal reasoning tests. She turned 10 in August and it's the first one she's done. She got all the questions right for levels 1,2 and 3 and 11 out of 15 right on level 4.

I'm a bit suspicious of how easy she seemed to find it, given that she's never done one before. My question is what level do they usually test up to for the 11+? Is there a level 5 or 6 in non-verbal reasoning that's in common use in tests for secondary transfer? Or are those Bond books a bit misleading, using easy sample papers.......

roisin Tue 03-Nov-09 18:21:27

Which Bond book is it? Can you link to it on Amazon or something?

NVR is something that is intuitive to some people, and it may be just that your dd has a natural high aptitude for it.

The other thing that is important is timing. In 11+-style tests the time-pressure is something that really affects the results, as you have to spot the short-cuts and work things out quickly; as there simply isn't time to do things the long way round.

sabire Tue 03-Nov-09 18:34:00

It's this one:
here

DH is very smart - maybe she gets it from him. TBH I found some of the level 4 questions a bit hard. blush

cherryblossoms Tue 03-Nov-09 18:43:01

Sorry - I've not come across your book.

These tend to be the ones people use:
here

and they come in packs for VR and NVR in a multiple choice or standard format.

the other main type people use are the NFER ones, because NFER is the format that a lot of 11+ exams.

That's not much help to you, though. Sorry.

sabire Tue 03-Nov-09 19:09:58

thanks for responding though! smile

roisin Tue 03-Nov-09 20:19:02

Hi! We did have that book, though I've passed it on to a friend now.

From memory the levels 1-3 are considerably easier; so you do need to focus on the L4 ones. But 11/15 sounds great for a first attempt? Did she do them under timed conditions? The book gives ways of calculating their scores/aptitudes, doesn't it?

It's great that you're so chilled about it. I hope she stays relaxed and does well on Saturday.

sabire Tue 03-Nov-09 21:42:12

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now