Talk

Advanced search

what should a kid starting primary school be able to do?

(15 Posts)
mummysaurus Thu 29-Oct-09 15:08:55

Or perhaps I should ask "what are the skills it is most useful for a child to have mastered before starting school?"

i ask because my ds who will start school next Sept is behind his peers in speech and motor skills and is slow at learning new skills (though he's quick at learning the names of dinosaurs!)

Is there a website with a list of the things so I can try to prioritise? For example I guess self care is important - we're trying to teach him how to put on his shoes and get dressed by himself.

hocuspontas Thu 29-Oct-09 15:22:26

Undressing/dressing is an advantage
Toiletting - wiping own bum would be good and washing hands afterwards. Also good aiming skills
Concept of sharing
Knowing when to be quiet if the teacher asks!
Eating skills - not necessarily with a knife and fork but being able to eat independently and have basic table manners. (Not stabbing others with a fork etc)
Not being afraid to speak to adults especially if unhappy with something or needing the toilet.

hocuspontas Thu 29-Oct-09 15:24:54

Other things - grip a pencil securely and make marks. If he can write his own name that would be good. Also be able to use scissors.

mankyscotslass Thu 29-Oct-09 15:27:45

Undressing/dressing themsleves.

Toileting - being familiar with all the usual terms and being able to wipe own bum/wash own hands.

Being able to listen to the teacher and sit still for a few minutes for carpet time.

Eat their packed lunch/school dinner independently or with minimal help.

Recognise their own name when it's written, on pegs/trays.

mummysaurus Thu 29-Oct-09 15:34:25

Ok this sounds like it might be doable within the next ten months[optimistic emoticon]

but can't see him either using scissors or doing buttons by himself in the near future bless him

can see him sitting and looking like he's listening but not actually understanding.

What else?

What subject areas are often covered by schools. If i can teach him loads of vocab and few concepts that might stop him getting so lost

mummysaurus Thu 29-Oct-09 15:35:35

oh and do they have to go and get their school dinner themselves or are they helped with this?

mankyscotslass Thu 29-Oct-09 17:07:50

The little ones will be helped at first and then gently encouraged to be more independent at lunch times. smile

Don't worry about buttons too much, you should know in advance which days are pe days, and you can do what I do and leave polo shirts undone on those days.

Reception is mostly about learning through play, theough they will do phonics. If you want to get hm used to the concept of them then ring the school and ask what system they use. Ours use Jolly phonics, so we have a CD of the songs and we do the actions in the car. (Not when I am driving) grin

mrz Thu 29-Oct-09 17:13:10

As a reception teacher I'm happy if new starters can go to the loo without help and can put their coat on (I expect to help with zips and buttons).

mummysaurus Thu 29-Oct-09 20:39:35

thanks for the tip about phonics and buttons mankyscotslass

mrz - your fingers must be nimble i now have visions of teachers doing up 30 coats in five seconds flat grin

fishie Thu 29-Oct-09 20:42:34

that's nearly a year! 25% of his life. i have only just started talking to ds about it and he starts school in january.

mummysaurus Thu 29-Oct-09 21:03:20

I know fishie

I'm not going to talk to him about it or put pressure on him. i just want to quietly get on with trying to teach him some basic stuff - not reading (or algebra) grin

As I said he's behind his peers and I know he probably will need extra help in the class but I just want to give him the best chance of not feeling lost.

Clary Thu 29-Oct-09 23:59:01

Get dressed and undressed reasonably quickly (5 mins) and without help (30 kids and 2 adults mostly in FS2).

Go to loo and wipe bum and wash hands.

Do tights!!! (if a girl obv, so clearly not yr DS)

Manage packed lunch (open box, frube, etc) or knife and fork for school dinner. There are a limited number of helpers at lunchtime, but our school sends FS2 in on their own for the first few weeks so they have the full attention of the MDS. Still only about 8 people to 80 kids tho.

Put on and do up his coat.

Recognise his name (eg in his clothes or on a peg).

I would say writing name and using scissors etc is way down list - school can teach him that but it's very awkward and difficult if he can't get dressed or go to the loo.

Lots of kids start school unable to use scissors.

mrz Fri 30-Oct-09 07:57:36

mummysaurus 30 pairs of shoelaces on the other hand make me shock

badgerhead Fri 30-Oct-09 09:11:03

If you google Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) there is a website that gives all the guidance from birth to the 31st August following their 5th birthday.(it's a DCSF website) The developmental 'norms' are set out in different age ranges that overlap and as you are aware that he is slower at learning than others please don't get too het up about these!They are also split into the six areas of learning, these are,(in no particular order): Problem Solving Reasoning & Numeracy, Creative Development, Knowledge & Understanding of the World,Physical Development,Communication Language & Literacy and Personal Social & Emotional Development.
As a childminder I would help them with their self help skills more than anything and get them used to sitting still to listen to stories plus how to listen to instructions. As said earlier Reception is all about learning through play just as they do at nursery, playgroup, pre-school, childminder and at home.

mummysaurus Fri 30-Oct-09 21:38:09

Thanks guy - good advice here. I was going to be one of those chilled out mums that lets their kid do things in their own time - was absolutely anti hot-house.

Little did i know i'd need to hot house my sweet ds for forever just to get him to pull up his own trousers! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now