Talk

Advanced search

Duncombe or Coleridge

(8 Posts)
Lambton Thu 29-Oct-09 11:09:18

Does anyone have any children at Duncombe or Coleridge Primary Schools in Islington?
We live nearer Duncombe so probably wouldn't get in Coleridge.

marmoleum Fri 30-Oct-09 18:37:22

Coleridge is in Haringey so you can apply to both as first choices if you like

Do look at Ashmount as well, though - it's lovely

Lambton Sat 31-Oct-09 14:12:15

Thanks. One mum told me that her daughter developed an attitude after a few weeks at Ashmount so she took her out. Do you know anything about Duncombe?

marmoleum Sat 31-Oct-09 16:13:13

Only that a friend's DD was very happy there. Head is forceful character who's been very effective in lots of ways. But you'll only know if you take to his approach when you meet him and look round school (if you haven't already)

Same with Coleridge and Ashmount obv (and fwiw i'd take a report like that with a huge pinch of salt...)

good luck with it all!

nlondondad Sun 01-Nov-09 12:19:22

Both my children were at Ashmount, one now first year at University the other just starting GCSE's. So far they have both turned out alright.....

The general advice would be:-

Look at the most recent ofsted, visit the school. Talk to the Head. All things being equal the school closest to you is the best choice...

nlondondad Sun 01-Nov-09 12:19:49

for that matter look at their web sites

Lambton Tue 03-Nov-09 14:13:03

Thanks, I will look at their websites and try to visit them. It's so easy to get sucked into a panic about how there is only one good school nearby (Coleridge?) but we probably won't get into it. Oh, now we'll have to move... but where to...?

In anybody's experience would you say the Ofsted reports are very reliable or give the whole picure?

marmoleum Tue 03-Nov-09 15:05:07

don't panic!! schools vary by size/feel/approach and league tables won't tell you which one will suit your dcs (or you) best... visiting will - you'll know where you are much better once you've had a look, honest.

ofsted just one piece of the jigsaw. inspections are shorter than they were, and they work to a very formalised template. useful but no substitute for visiting, ime.

(we opted for ashmount because liked the feel, liked/trusted the head's approach when we met her, heard good things about it from a few parents we trusted (rather than just general 'reputation', iyswim). very glad we did. but main thing is there is more than one 'good' school - so really, don't panic...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now