Talk

Advanced search

Reception; half-term. Has your child been set any school work?

(21 Posts)
wheelsonthebus Thu 29-Oct-09 10:50:22

Just wondered. Anyone (private or state) doing any school work over half-term?

MORgueOSKY Thu 29-Oct-09 11:17:07

Yes dd is 8, she is doing a little project on animal classifications, she also had some maths to do on shapes. State school if it is relevant

GrimmaTheNome Thu 29-Oct-09 11:20:28

Yes - Yr 6 - a couple of practice entrance exam papers plus a couple more optional ones(some of the class will be sitting an exam on the following Saturday)and a book review.

They usually just have to do a book review in half-term hols

RubysReturn Thu 29-Oct-09 11:23:49

no, my reception age child has no homework. They just encourage lots of reading

My older dds have project which include the half term period

GrimmaTheNome Thu 29-Oct-09 11:25:45

Sorry, didn't notice the 'Reception' in the title. I dont remember DD getting holiday homework in infants.

throckenholt Thu 29-Oct-09 11:28:47

mine are in years 2 and 4 now - and I don't recall ever having been set homework over half term.

MORgueOSKY Thu 29-Oct-09 11:29:03

I also didn't notice reception, sorry.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 29-Oct-09 11:31:13

Mine are older, but I don't think they ever got homework in half-term at that age. My youngest is Year 3 now and her homework is just to do some entries in her reading diary. Half-term is for relaxing, IMO.

FimbleHobbs Thu 29-Oct-09 11:35:58

DS has a reading book (but they get one every weekend) for us to look at. Plus the school has given us a list of six words that he will be learning soon so that we can help him practise at home.

norksonmywitchesbroomstick Thu 29-Oct-09 12:14:27

DD state reception - We have to go for an autumn walk and then produce a drawing/painting to take in and share with the class. In addition to the normal reading books

madamearcati Thu 29-Oct-09 12:34:13

DD aged 4 -reading book , writing the latest letter (they are learning cursive letters which is new to all the children) and they broughe home a recipe which DD insists they have to make for homework.

FernieB Thu 29-Oct-09 13:05:38

Is it a tasty recipe? That sounds like good homework. Mine have only ever had writing a holiday diary as holiday homework.

deepdarkwood Thu 29-Oct-09 13:16:33

DS never had anything other than the usual reading book (state school)

Smithagain Thu 29-Oct-09 13:27:19

No half term school work, although I'm sure they would be very pleased if we carried on doing 2-5mins of phonics every day (normal routine).

dilemma456 Thu 29-Oct-09 16:49:02

Message withdrawn

Singstar Thu 29-Oct-09 16:52:53

mine got 2 books and has been doing lots of drawings (not told to do them - think he just wants to show off grin)

mrz Thu 29-Oct-09 17:16:44

I'm a reception teacher and set half term homework. I asked them to draw a firework picture and think of words to describe fireworks.

GossipMonger Thu 29-Oct-09 17:19:05

Reception ds has been sent 3 reading books home. Am fine with that as he loves reading.

Y3 ds has to make a Roman shield and is painting it as we speak! grin

Phoenix4725 Fri 30-Oct-09 08:06:50

have homework for reception here we made christas collage since ds cant talk to descibe his favourite festival and would have no clue on 3d shapes for fireworks

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Fri 30-Oct-09 08:15:50

They didn't get reading books sent home or any formal homework but we've been encouraged to read other books with them and encourage them to write some letters, make up their own stories and do some painting/colouring/modelling.

EldonAve Fri 30-Oct-09 08:18:42

yes but totally forgot about it until I saw this thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now