Talk

Advanced search

need to go away for six weeks to two months.. what are the odds of being able to keep school place?

(6 Posts)
vvvodka Tue 27-Oct-09 10:19:33

Family situation. i dont want to explain any further than that to head. ( i dislike him immensely) i'm happy to explain to dc's teacher the reasons, but not him. dc in year two, doing very well, predicted a level 3 inliteracy for her sats, currently working on level 2a/3. superbe reading ability. etc etc etc. I need to go abroad for an extended period of time. what are the chances of being able to take dc out of school for that long.

I'm happy to put her into a local school whilst there, or get take work with me, and am hoping she might learn the local language too. but i HAVE to go.
thoughts please

RustyBat Tue 27-Oct-09 10:32:44

Will you be away in the middle of January? This is when pupils are counted to see how much money the school gets for the year (not sure of the exact day this year but it's usually around the 15th) If so you might find the head more willing to allow you to take authorised absence, so they can still count your child in the statistics (as long as they don't have anyone on the waiting list ready to take the place.)

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Tue 27-Oct-09 10:43:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hercules1 Tue 27-Oct-09 10:47:57

I think you will have to put it into writing with the reason why and get it in writing back whether a place will be kept.

scarletlilybug Tue 27-Oct-09 11:05:15

Ring up the LEA and ask if there is a general policy regarding extended absence.

I think you might also have to be prepared to give your reasons for absence to the headtacher - if he doesn't know what they are, how can he approve them or not?

vvvodka Tue 27-Oct-09 20:50:24

its a hugely oversubscribed school with waiting lists as long as your arm. they dont need to keep a place for her. i could literally take her out on thursday afternoon, or even friday morning, and they would have another child in on the monday morning.

getting it in writing is a good idea. and speaking to the lea too.
thank you for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now