Talk

Advanced search

Does primary education cater for imaginative play?

(7 Posts)
Thinkstoomuch Mon 26-Oct-09 19:19:59

DS1 just started reception and is on the whole enjoying it and starting to get into the swing of it, read and write etc. But I've realised he's really missing doing the imaginative play that dominated his life in pre-school. He adores dressing up and any role play scenario and regularly used to orchestrate productions that involved his little nursery friends in dramas that could last all day!

They've done 'road works' one day in the first term at Reception and he never stopped talking about it. Apart from that it doesn't seem to feature.

Is imaginative play mainly for the playground once they're in school?

mrz Mon 26-Oct-09 19:26:08

No it should figure largely in reception too.

cat64 Mon 26-Oct-09 19:28:38

Message withdrawn

smee Mon 26-Oct-09 19:47:23

Surely he's not just sitting at a desk?! From what I saw, reception was lots and lots of freeplay - home corner, shop corner, etc, etc. All about role play and imagination or should be.

Thinkstoomuch Mon 26-Oct-09 20:01:17

Yes there's free play and there's a home corner. But what I'm not sensing is the teachers leading or encouraging scenarios like they did in pre-school. The kids can play doctors or shop if they like at free play time - so yes it's there but the atmosphere is just not as fun and free.

There's very few props and also now I think about it the classroom is quite tight for space too, so not as much room for pirates/firemen/Ben 10 game/baby game.

The dynamic has changed too for DS1 and I don't think he's confident enough in the hierarchy to get the others into his fantasies like he used to.

I might talk to the teachers now I know it's something they should be covering.

smee Mon 26-Oct-09 20:27:26

You may have put your finger on it when you say the dynamic's changed - that's the hardest part for many when they start school, ie finding their place/ voice. I'd bet the teachers are watching and gently encouraging from the sidelines.

thecloudhopper Mon 26-Oct-09 20:36:22

In Wales you should have 2 role play areas 1 topical like a constructin site etc and a home corner. Also should be lots of chance for imaginative thinking not just in reception but in a more grown up way in year 1 too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now