Talk

Advanced search

Reading help... VERYnegative teacher

(34 Posts)
AppleHEAD Sun 25-Oct-09 21:50:56

My dd's teacher this week in my first ever parents evening described her as vacant. I have no faith in this woman so have decided to do as much at home as possible. Can anyone suggest a reading scheme I can get hold of. I have tonnes of REAL books and some jolly phonics stuff but I want something simple and nice.

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 21:54:15

How does DD read at home? Does she seem to struggle?

A mum was mentioning coloured plastic strips /rulers to go over the line being read which made reading 'easy' for her dc.

choosyfloosy Sun 25-Oct-09 21:54:21

What?

Jeeze, that's horrible. Vacant??????? what kind of person is she?

It's hardly original, but ds's school use Oxford Reading Tree(the Biff, Chip and Kipper stories) and I think they are absolutely great, though blimey,not cheap(maybe ebay?)

AppleHEAD Sun 25-Oct-09 21:57:05

No she doesn't struggle at all really. She wasn't starting to write the letter d in the correct place so the teacher tried to get her to do it the correct way. This just confused her. She isn't even 5 yet I can see it's a d! But I feel she is so negative I want to do as much as I can. I will look up Oxford reading tree thanks

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 21:59:39

Biff, Chip and Kipper are fun

popmum Sun 25-Oct-09 21:59:55

do try the library for reading books and maybe go back to more baby books, or look at the book sets at book people

choosyfloosy Sun 25-Oct-09 22:03:14

Can't get my head round this. Vacant? I hope it was an unfortunate slip of the tongue rather than a considered opinion. Is there a reading group in the class, preferably taken by a nicer TA?

AppleHEAD Sun 25-Oct-09 22:34:53

I have no idea I feel as if the teacher has written her off. I should have responded to her but I was so shocked I didn't. I am going to look at the book people website thanks

seeker Mon 26-Oct-09 06:29:55

Can you remember the whole sentence she said? The context?

I would make an appointment to go in and see her again - you really need an explanation rather than taking on your dd's education at home.

mrz Mon 26-Oct-09 07:22:59

Did your daughter start school in September?

CybilWrites Mon 26-Oct-09 07:37:31

Some teachers can be a little blunt and I wonder if there is more to this than just one word used inappropriately. Are there more examples of her negativity?

TombliBOOOOOObs Mon 26-Oct-09 07:47:07

I would worry less about the reading and more that the term vacant has been used. Agree with seeker, you need to sort this out with the teacher rather than concentrating on the reading at the moment.

Ask for an appointment and think about what you would like to ask. One thing I would say is don't get too caught up the fact that you feel she is being negative at this stage, try and hear what she is saying and see if it fits honestly with what you know about your DD.

mrz Mon 26-Oct-09 10:13:03

I agree I would ask for a meeting to discuss what she means by "vacant" (bad choice of words). If your daughter is in reception I would forget about buying reading scheme books she will get them from school when she is ready.

smee Mon 26-Oct-09 10:39:45

I'd talk to the teacher too Apple. But if you do decide to teach her at home, I'd try and at least find out how they teach at school, as you teaching her another way may confuse her. I'd say just read to her lots at home. She'll read herself with school's help and/ or when she's ready. It's fine for a not-yet or even a five year old not to be reading.

AppleHEAD Mon 26-Oct-09 18:50:35

She said she was vacant because she was unable to write her name having been able to write it the day before. She wasn't able to write her name because the teacher told her she wasn't forming the letter d properly. She wasn't starting it in the right place apparently.
I'm not home schooling I just wondered if there were any schemes around people would reccommend. This is because I want to give her some extra support. I probably shouldn't even have mentioned the teacher because now it's got all complicated.
Any other schemes people would suggest?
Thanks for the support it is appreciated but just really wanted to know about books

mrz Mon 26-Oct-09 19:22:34

I would avoid all schemes it is too early in the year and you will only put your daughter under more pressure. She has been put off writing (for now ) because she has been told she can't form "d" correctly think how she is going to react to reading books before she is ready.

Pitchounette Mon 26-Oct-09 19:50:57

Message withdrawn

AppleHEAD Mon 26-Oct-09 22:57:35

Thanks....I only really wanted to have them so she could enjoy reading to me... we read hundreds of real books and we make up stories - or rather she does and I write the captions. She makes up stories to go along with pictures in books etc....
I just wanted her to have something else slightly more structured and that we could have fun with if she decided she wanted to. She is blending well and we have done lots of silly cat hat mat fat etc pictures and rhymes.
The teacher is just a bloody space cade. But dd is happy and likes to go to school so I figured doing some stuff at home when she feels like it would be ok. I think I need to give her this support as the teacher is so vacant.
Thanks everyone I am so grateful people take time to respond

Doodlez Mon 26-Oct-09 23:02:56

Regarding the letter 'd' - does she have to start it 'from the line' (as in, the run up to joined up writing. Some primaries teach this style from reception).

Please see this website The story at the bottom of the page was written by me grin

Basically, you download the font and then you can type it in Word and all the dots and lines comes out!

AppleHEAD Mon 26-Oct-09 23:14:59

Thanks Doodleez I will do that.

mrz Tue 27-Oct-09 08:21:53

Please don't go along the follow the dotted line /trace route it teaches children to trace not to form letters correctly.

StinkbotsMum Tue 27-Oct-09 08:38:21

Look at the starfall website, Apple, access to most of that is free. See if that helps supplement what else has been suggested. The Read-Write Inc materials are a possibility too, but pricey.

((Vacant? WTF? "Forgetful", "inconsistent", "still learning" : so many less negative words or phrases possible in the situation)).

mrz Tue 27-Oct-09 09:47:57

You said in your OP that you have Jolly Phonics stuff does the school use Jolly Phonics?
If they don't buy other phonics resources (such as Read Write)as they will cause huge confusion.
Personally not a fan of Starfall because of the Americanism which again can cause confusion for some children.

cornsilk Tue 27-Oct-09 09:54:53

Mrz why don't you like tracing?

GooseyLoosey Tue 27-Oct-09 10:01:46

Your daughter sounds lovely and clearly engaged with learning. Dd can learn something one day and completely deny any knowledge of it the next day. I think that this is normal with small children.

I think you should keep an eye on the teacher and definitely say to her that you have been thinking about what she said and wonder if she could elaborate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now