Talk

Advanced search

Numbers

(4 Posts)
GreatGooglyMoogly Sun 25-Oct-09 08:07:03

DS1 (5) is in year one and can recognise numbers but not write them very well or add/ subtract. Are there any good exercise books I could buy to help him?

Fivesetsofschoolfees Sun 25-Oct-09 08:11:04

There are loads of books in WH Smiths and the other bookshops.

MrsGently Sun 25-Oct-09 08:48:41

I know it's not what you asked for but I think playing games will work so much better than workbooks.

Find out which method(s) they've been teaching for addition/subtraction - he'll learn a few methods through out the year, it's best to consolidate each method at home.

Try playing a game like Orchard's Ladybird or Spotty dog - will help with the addition side of things - it's visual and fun, helps them to get the concept. Play smartie maths give him 5 smarties ask him how many he'll have after he's eaten 2. Remember to get him to explain his thinking behind solving the problem.

Practice writing numbers by playing shops - makes writing meaningful.

mrz Sun 25-Oct-09 09:55:38

I agree games are a great way for children to understand number rather than just go through the motions (which is what they learn from workbooks. Good old fashioned Snakes and Ladders and Ludo work well. Keeping score in games encourage number writing - velcro dart and target games.
The most able child I've encountered played whist with his grandfather and friends from an early age

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now