Talk

Advanced search

Learning to write....what materials do you recommend?

(8 Posts)
NoMoreThankYou Fri 23-Oct-09 23:41:16

where can I buy chunky pencils /3 pointed pencils that I have seen referred to; also did I see some reference to tracing paper? in regards to learning to write - where can i get hold of this please? any other materials recommended for teaching your dc to write? thanks

EcoMouse Sat 24-Oct-09 01:43:10

Triangular pencils can be found at any stationary shop. What sort of age group?

savoycabbage Sat 24-Oct-09 03:30:53

I got one of these from Letterbox but mine wasn't the cursive one. They have got the other one in their catalogue. It was really good for letter formation as it showed her where to start the letter and which direction to go in On mine the letters are not in alphabetical order, they are grouped according to how they are formed.

TombliBOOOOOObs Sat 24-Oct-09 06:56:36

Well I would make a box of early writing equipment rather than go down the tracing paper and drawing over route.

So get gel pens, post it notes, pencils (triangular as you mentioned) crayons, address labels, 'proper pens' folded card to make signs, string for hanging signs, sellotape, scissors.

Children will learn to write when they are writing for a purpose and have resources that make them keen to do so. Making labels for their models, lists during role play, decorating their bedroom door with signs.

HTH smile

mrz Sat 24-Oct-09 08:01:55

Tracing doesn't teach children to write, it teaches them to trace, but it is a good exercise to develop pencil control.

Hulababy Sat 24-Oct-09 08:17:10

Fr pre writing I would say also to ger a shallow tray and some sand; a small water gun and water; some finger paints; some chunky pavement chalk; ... all good for doing "big" writing.

You can also draw letters and numbers with your finger in the air and on one anohters back (can try and guess which leter then).

Then move onto a whiteboard and whiteboard marker.

Then pen and paper.

thecloudhopper Sat 24-Oct-09 10:55:43

draw letters in sand by using finger or feathers ect, gloop use playdough starting the letters in the correct place. shaving foam and cars too make the letters with the track.. these should be done 1st

smee Sat 24-Oct-09 12:05:59

Tombli's right - just leave pens and paper about. If you go to a good stationers take them with you and let them choose some of the types of pens they might recognise from school / preschool. Then leave them where they can easily reach. Personally unless it's actively homework, I wouldn't make them do anything - let them lead if they want to. We sometimes suggest things where writing's part of it, but don't insist - eg: letting them write the shopping list. Write name labels for a bear or two, etc, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now