Talk

Advanced search

Guitar lessons?

(8 Posts)
Ixia Wed 21-Oct-09 19:21:03

My DD age 4 has been hankering for lessons for a while, she is completely guitar obsessed. Not really sure what to do about it, I'm not one for after school tutoring and all that, would rather she just played outside making mud pies and other 4yr old things.

But we bought her a small guitar from Ebay (more a toy than anything) and she sits there strumming and singing smile

Is she too young for guitar lessons? If I had a bash at teaching her myself, what sort of guitar would I buy for her?

Milliways Wed 21-Oct-09 20:50:51

DS learns classical guitar - I love listening to him practice.

You can get cheap 1/4 or 1/2 size guitars from most music shops from around £30, they don't cost much. If they get good you can buy a decent full size model when they are older.

I don't know if you are thinking of classical, but from that they can do just chord strummimg, but DS used to love picking out his favourite tunes.

lisbey Wed 21-Oct-09 21:03:30

little hijack- My DS (6yo) has been asking too.

I'm a bit scared because of the tuning up thing. I have no musical ability at all and will be unable to help - does it matter? i.e I can read music and know which keys to press on a piano (for very simple tunes) but a man comes to tune that!

Milliways Wed 21-Oct-09 21:16:49

A good teacher will show the kids how to tune it to itself. DS uses my electronic tuner which lights up green when in tune.

Ixia Wed 21-Oct-09 21:18:50

Thanks for the replies. I can read music, used to play the flute and bassoon, but like lisbey I'm not sure I could tune a guitar - any tips?

I might have a wander round our local music shop and see what they suggest.

DD even has t-shirts with guitars on them smile

Milliways Wed 21-Oct-09 21:25:02

Try this?

stakethroughtheheartofgold Wed 21-Oct-09 21:31:06

buy a guitar tuner with lights, cost around a tenner and takes all the hassle out.

Ixia Thu 22-Oct-09 09:53:46

Thankyou milliways - that website is really informative.
Stakethroughtheheart - electronic tuners, who'd have thought? In my day it was all tuning forks and humming wink I've been looking online and they look just the thing, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now