Talk

Advanced search

DD, Y4, tells me that her teacher read out a list of names of all those children whose literacy has not improved this term.

(13 Posts)
Cadelaide Tue 20-Oct-09 13:20:40

DD said "I was really worried 'cos i don't think I'm very good at literacy but my name wasn't read out so I'm OK".

Isn't that rather a negative approach on the part of the teacher? Is it usual?

OrmIrian Tue 20-Oct-09 13:27:23

Yes it is! I can understand a commendation for those who have improved a great deal but the other way round is just nasty. We have a tea party with the HT every half term for the 2 children from each year who have improved significantly.

Cadelaide Tue 20-Oct-09 13:39:26

Hmm. Thought so.

They read out weekly test results too, I've always thought that was a bit odd.

Cadelaide Tue 20-Oct-09 13:40:50

Hey Orm, incidentally, I imagine you know that you were listed on some board thingy as one of the ten most prolific posters on MN a week or two ago? grin

Cadelaide Tue 20-Oct-09 13:42:36

(She won't answer now for fear of getting listed again...)

OrmIrian Tue 20-Oct-09 13:57:02

Oops hmm

clop Tue 20-Oct-09 14:18:07

shock. It's not usual. Seems quite mean to me .
I remember one Spanish teacher in High School who used to read out test results for individuals, but it's never happened to DC in primary.

choccyp1g Tue 20-Oct-09 14:24:29

Hmmn, doesn't teacher mean the children whose literacy she has failed to improve?

atworknotworking Thu 22-Oct-09 07:03:51

Good point choccy shock

Goblinchild Thu 22-Oct-09 07:55:04

Seems an odd thing to do from a teacher who's under pressure to make all her class move on two sublevels a year.
She's trying naming, shaming and peer pressure in a very clumsy way. Apart from complaining about her strategy, I'd want to know what individual targets and support she's told the children will be given to change an unsatisfactory situation.
OK to set a goal for the ones not making progress, but she needs to plan and share how they can achieve it.

sarah293 Thu 22-Oct-09 08:15:35

Message withdrawn

cory Thu 22-Oct-09 08:19:05

how bizarre! I would have words, first with the teacher to assure myself that there hasn't been a misunderstanding, and then with the headteacher. definitely not the norm.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sat 24-Oct-09 17:11:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now