Talk

Advanced search

Teaching in the same school that your children attend? I have a big decision to make.

(18 Posts)
cupofteaplease Mon 19-Oct-09 19:42:16

Does anyone have any experience of this?

My dd has just started in Reception at the school where she attended nursery. I was pleased with the nursery, but I'm feeling really underwhelmed with the school. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't feel it's the right place for her. (I have also worked there, and the atmosphere was never very friendly.) As the school is Ofsted outstanding and has people falling over themselves to get a place, and with a waiting list as long as your arm, I realise the very idea of removing her would be frowned upon locally.

However, I teach in a lovely school, and I can see dd settling in there very well. The atmosphere is just more friendly and child- orientated. The benefits include dd being able to journey with me each day, an after school club, hot meal at lunchtime. Dh thinks it would be a good move. Negatives would be that she has to travel each day, new friends would not be local, I would hear about her in the staff room, even if she'd been naughty!

I'm just waiting to hear if my head will allow dd to attend (there is one space available)- I'm not sure what her policy on teachers' children attending the school is yet.

Has anyone experienced this or have an opinion on teaching in the same school as your children attend? Thanks.

CMOTdibbler Mon 19-Oct-09 19:46:57

I went to the same infant school that my mum taught at. At that stage, I didn't mind that mum knew exactly what I'd been up to, and it was fine separating mum and MrsCmot in my mind (as well as the other teachers etc). I did get some teasing, but it was manageable iirc.

Of course later, as we lived in a small town, I was less keen on mum getting feedback everyday from other teachers (and later, parents who had seen me out at night)

CarGirl Mon 19-Oct-09 19:47:22

How big is the school you teach at? Are they going to have to jig around so you don't end up teaching her?

Our reception teacher has had both her dc attend my dds school and it's not been an issue. It's a 2 form entry and they live fairly local (though not their local school IYSWIM)

KembleTwinsMwahahaha Mon 19-Oct-09 19:48:58

I think it can work, but it has to be handled carefully. As a child, my mum taught in my primary school for a while, and I was fine with it. The first school I taught in was a very good one (secondary though, so much bigger) and several teachers had kids there - it really wasn't a big deal because there was more than one, IYSWIM. There was an unwritten rule, though, that people didn't collar colleagues in the staffroom at break to discuss their own DCs with them - it was done through the same channels that any other parent would be contacted by. It worked really well, and no DC ever got bullied for being a teacher's child. At the most recent school I taught in, there was one child (and only one) who was the DD of a teacher, and it used to drive him mad when people tried to talk about her to him during the school day - he got into the habit of saying "don't tell me - call my wife about it".

My sister is doing a PGCE at the moment, and deliberately stated that she didn't want to do teaching practice in the school where her DD is in reception, in case it's too confusing. My niece is a bit clingy though, so it might not work well for them. Make the decision based on what you think will work for your DD - I don't think that teachers working in the same schools that their DCs attend is all that unusual.

katiestar Mon 19-Oct-09 19:56:49

It won't be up to the head .The law of the land is that If there is a space and no one else on the waiting list ,your DD is entitled to that place.

Disadvantages
1 Not fair on your DD -you will know too much about her and it may cramp her style !

2 Your Relationships with other parents.

3 If your DD wins/is chosen for anything there will always be the perception by some that it is favouritism

4 Will you be able to take a stand against the school if you have a complaint regarding your DDs teacher/bullying etc when they are also your employer.

cupofteaplease Mon 19-Oct-09 19:56:52

Thanks for the quick responses.

My school is a 2 form entry so I'd never have to teach her.

The other issue is- her current school cater from 3-11 so she could remain there for years. My school is infants only so in 3 years she'd have to move school again, with all the other children. I wonder if this is fair to her? I also went to 3 primary schools, due to house moves, but as it is avoidable in her case, I wonder if I am being selfish sad It's such a hard decision to make.

cupofteaplease Mon 19-Oct-09 19:58:48

Good thoughts Katie. Especially 2 and 3.

Any advantages?!

trickerg Mon 19-Oct-09 20:01:30

We've had lots of teachers who've had children at school (including me). I can honestly say that none of us have experienced problems. You have to detach yourself from them, and make sure you NEVER EVER breach the home / school divide by mentioning that you saw them being told off!! Just treat it like they're in a different school, go to parents' interviews officially and don't talk too much about your child in the staff room.

One of the teachers had a 'difficult' son (due to difficult circumstances at the time). All his teachers dealt with him in a professional and helpful way. It actually helped him by giving him security at school.

There is only ONE thing ONCE ONLY (!) I used as my teacher's perogative! I did once ask whether my son could be moved into a different class to his best friend one year. Isn't that cruel? He's never found out!

nevertoomanyshoes Mon 19-Oct-09 20:03:26

My dd attends the school I teach at and initially I was concerned. My school has a history of staff sending their offspring and no problems have occurred.

You have to be aware when you are the professional and when you are a parent and not blur these roles especially when dealing with other colleagues and the head/ management team. You may want to make it clear to other staff how you plan to approach this- what you should be told about and when etc- before allowing it to go ahead.

My dd is very happy and sometimes it is reassuring to be more in control of transport etc especially when you're rushed off your feet!

Kelloggs36 Mon 19-Oct-09 20:04:55

I work at a school where my DS is - and they all (children) love it! The staff don't have an issue, and neither do any of the parents! He won the X Factor earlier this year which I had arranged and hosted and nobody batted an eyelid - it was ME who said 'and I announce the winner (and by the way it was nothing to do with me)......'. It has been absolutely fine!

Toffeepopple Mon 19-Oct-09 20:18:02

My son's teacher has her son at the school. It is three-form entry so she won't teach him.

It seems to work fine.

thecloudhopper Mon 19-Oct-09 21:07:19

Just to put my view in if you think she will be happier then go for it. My mum taught both my brothers 1 of which for 4 years.(it was an infant mixed class) They turned out fine

Builde Tue 20-Oct-09 10:00:20

As a teacher it sounds like you've had a very useful insight into local schools, so go with your gut feeling.

I think that - as long as you're not actually teaching your dd - it would be find having her in your school.

And there are many advantages in terms of transport.

Possibly at secondary level it could be more challenging.

yellowvan Tue 20-Oct-09 10:08:57

I think it can be more of a problem not so much your own chn but teaching/dealing with your kid's friends and their parents, having them over to play etc when you have two hats: Mrs Cup/SmallCup's mum. I would find it hard to speak to parent about their DC's poor behaviour at school (for eg), and then have them round my house to play, or have friends ask "How is my DC at school" etc. Too much conflict of interest.

titchy Tue 20-Oct-09 10:19:37

I think the fact that you're a teacher there is get roundable, particularly if she'll be in a different class to theo ne you teach, and presumably will have different friends (beware of parents cosying up to you though!). I'm assuming you're not so far away that parents wouldn't accept invitations for tea at yours becuase the pick up would take too long?

What will happen in year 3 though - will she go back to the school she's at now? In which case in may not really be worth it...

doubleexpresso Tue 20-Oct-09 14:12:27

DS went to a school where a lot of the teachers children attended. Initially I thought this was nice, as it showed that they believed the education, ethos etc was good. However, seveal of the teachers children were at times, unpleasant, sneaky and mean to my DS and other children. It is incredibly difficult to go into a school and tell one member of staff that one of their colleagues children is bullying your child. Now I imagine your child is gorgeous grin , but having your child in your school can cause them, you, peer group and parents social embarrassment and stress. I am a teacher and I don't think it's at all professional.

Kitchens Tue 20-Oct-09 21:43:45

Our headmaster has his 2 children at the school and his wife also teaches there too.

Doesn't seem to pose a problem at all.

As far as friends are concerned she will be absolutely fine. My DD changed schools at the beginning of year 1 and it was fine.

stealthsquiggle Tue 20-Oct-09 21:53:29

In the independent sector this is absolutely the norm because of staff discounts - every class in DS's school has at least one staff child in and I have never heard of any issues arising (even when they are teaching their own children, impressively) - if anything the staff children know that a higher standard of behaviour is expected of them.

My DM taught at our primary school - no issue whatsoever. Secondary school less OK since by then as a DC you value your privacy more - my DM started teaching at my school the term after I left and I still resented all the stories she was retrospectively told grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now