Talk

Advanced search

Question re junior school double ( 4+ and 5+) entry?

(7 Posts)
stressed2007 Mon 19-Oct-09 11:41:16

Can anyone help? The private school I am interested in has a full class entry at 4+ and another at 5+. I can't find anyone there that can explain this to me. Why would a school be doing this? Where have the 30 children have been that start the school at 5+? Thanks

Madsometimes Mon 19-Oct-09 12:53:56

I have no idea. I am assuming you are in the UK but not Scotland...

Could the 4+ entry actually be a class of 3 and 4 year olds ie. nursery, and the 5+ class be 4 and 5 year olds ie. reception.

I would phone the school and ask for clarification.

stressed2007 Mon 19-Oct-09 13:37:41

I have and can't get any sense from them.

No one class is 4+ (i.e. between 4-5) and the next is 5+ ( 5-6).

Don't understand where the 5-6 year olds would have been for the previous year.

primarymum Mon 19-Oct-09 17:10:45

possibly because children don't have to start school until they are 5 but many schools take them at 4. So this one is splitting the difference by taking one lot at 4 and one lot at 5

stressed2007 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:41:06

I still don't understand this - everyone I have ever known starts school before the 5th birthday e.g. the youngest you can be is 4 years and 11 months (August baby) and then you have to start school in that Septmber - no one is 5 anything when they start state school or have I misunderstood? Thank you

roisin Mon 19-Oct-09 22:13:40

In the UK the legal age to start school is the term after your 5th birthday.

ds1 is a July baby and started school (straight into yr1 UK) when he was 5+2 months.

In some areas there are montessori schools/nurseries that many children attend, and then go into regular school when they are a bit older.

stressed2007 Mon 19-Oct-09 22:23:49

I am sure it is me but I am v confused. I am August baby and I started along with everyone I knew who was my age the following September - I was 4 and one month -most of my friends were about 4 and a half.

If I am following you correctly - the only "starters" at year 1 will be children very young for the year whose parents choose to keep them out of school for the year that they would normally attend (like me for e.g. who joined and was one of the youngest?)

I am sure round here there is no nursery that will keep a child until they are that old - I checked with mine today - they certainly would not have any who were for e.g. 5 and 3/4 - they said they might have the odd child held back until the Jan term but that is rare and only a few.

I can't understand how this school has a whole class (30) of such children. They can't all be very young children like your son/me (once upon a time).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now