Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS1 (7) - is there a problem with his reading?

(16 Posts)
thesunandtherain Sun 18-Oct-09 20:17:30

DS is in year 2. He is a somewhat reluctant reader, but doing pretty well I think. He is reading books from the purple/gold box at school. However, when reading he still misses words out, says 'the' instead of 'a' and vice versa. He misses the ends of words - he says tallest instead of taller for example. He adds words in that aren't there (like 'very strong' when i just says 'strong') . He also doesn't read using punctuation that well when he reads something for the first time, although he does second time around. Are these common issuse at this stage? His comprehension is really good, but his actual reading of the words on the page feels a bit hit and miss sometimes!

Do you think he would benefit from maybe coming down a level? I would ask his teacher, but I only do pick up from school and it is the TA who lets them out, and I don't want to make it formal by asking for a meeting with the teacher unless it is important. He seems fine with what he is doing and doesn't have confidence issues. I would also love it if anyone could recommend some books to get from the library. He really loves humour - the early reader Horrid Henry books have been very popular, so anything along those lines would be great.

Thanking you in advance.

Hulababy Sun 18-Oct-09 20:29:00

The the/a and the adding in extra words is not IMO a problem. It is very common esp with children who are becoming a bit more confident with their reading. They are learning to scan read rather than having to decode every single word - they are reading it as a sentence instead.

If you do some outloud reading yourself you may even catch yourself doing it! wink

Purple/Gold is good at this stage too, so def not behind at all.

As for books - I have posted big lists of similar levels to the earlu reader HH before - will go and see if I can find them.

Hulababy Sun 18-Oct-09 20:32:37

Blue Bananas
I Can Read
Happy Families
I Wonder Why
Bubblefacts
First Young Puffin
Colour Young Puffin
Corgi Pups
Dr Suess (these are levelled for ability too)
Colour Young Hippo
Usbourne Young Reading
Usbourne Young Puzzle Adventures
Orchard Crunchies
Orchard Crackers
I am Reading
Leapfrog
Ready Steady Read
Colour Crackers
M&S First Readers (they do all the fairy stories in a lovely easy to read format)
Topsy and Tim
Winnie the Witch
Alan Ahlberg's books about the Gaskitt Family (Cat who got carried away, etc)
Charlie and Lola books (good for new long words)
Red Nose Readers
Blue Bananas

The above are some of the ranges of books DD enjoyed when first becoming confident at reading. They do vary in abaility so it is worth having a look if you can first. These tend to have anything between 1 and 5/6 sentences per page and lots of colour pictures.

Many children are put of chapter books, etc because of the lack of lovely colour images, lots of writing on the page and the fact that the writing is much smaller and scrunched together. The above, IME, are a good in between stage.

Honeybarbara Sun 18-Oct-09 20:48:26

If he likes Horrid Henry, did you realise that the Early Reader versions have not been simplified, they just have more pictures added in. You may find he can read regular HH books as well. This will boost his confidence no end!

You can get cheap collections of HH stories from Tescos.

thesunandtherain Sun 18-Oct-09 20:51:00

Wow, thanks for that huge list Hulababy! We have borrowed some Blue Bananas already, and DS has flown through them with me. Ideally I'd like some funny ones that he will want to read of his own accord! At the moment, he only reads to me when I ask, not of his own volition!

DS is still reading out loud, not in his head. Is that Ok too? You have been very reassuring btw - I do think he is scanning more and so I can see why he is making 'mistakes' with the words on the page. It is good to know it is a normal thing. It just feels odd that he can read words like 'delightful' or 'hilariously', but gets 'a' and 'the' confused!

Thanks again

thesunandtherain Sun 18-Oct-09 20:56:34

Thanks Honey - I didn't know that. I will see if DS can cope with the more text-heavy format of the proper ones then!

Hulababy Sun 18-Oct-09 20:58:19

Yes - I think you will find that during this year he will start to enjoy reading silently too. Although when he does do remember to encourage him to read out loud to you too every so often. Reading out loud is a different skill to reading silently - esp when it comes to expression and fluency.

You may find that at present he will prefer the books with nice pictures and just a few lines of text per page. Big blocks of text can be very off putting at this stage - this is not a problem though and it comes with more confidence.

The Blue Banana range has different colours - yellow, green etc. The different colours are dfferent levels of difficulty. I just can't remmember, lol.

When looking for books look for books that have a slightly larger than average text (like the early reader HH) and where the text is a bit more spaced out. This is like a half way stage from the learning to read books and chapter books.

Dom't force hiim to go to hard too quick. Yes, the full HH books are not harder text decoding wise - but their appearance is very different. You don;t want to put him off.

However, when he is ready - try sharing the books - a page each maybe?

Comics are another great way to keep him reading and encouraging his confidence.

Hulababy Sun 18-Oct-09 20:59:24

If he likes funny books:

DD really enjoyed these.

Also Alan Ahlberg's Happy Families too.

Hulababy Sun 18-Oct-09 20:59:24

If he likes funny books:

DD really enjoyed these.

Also Alan Ahlberg's Happy Families too.

thesunandtherain Sun 18-Oct-09 21:06:23

Thanks again Hulababy. You sound very wise about this! I don't want to push him, but now I know that the 'issues' he has aren't a problem, I want to work on his enjoying books for himself. Starting with bigger text and not too much sounds like the way to go, and I will look out for the AA books. Maybe we will try the HH books together in a while? I know he would get a boost if he thought he could read a 'proper' big boys book.

Do you have any advice on angry 4 yr old boys too?!

Hulababy Sun 18-Oct-09 21:10:26

lol, sorry can't help with the 4y boy. Have only a 7y DD (Y3) myself

I can;t say I am an expert on the whole reading thing. It is just my observations. As I saidd I have DD who has been through the reading thing. And I now work as a TA (was a teacher but at secondary) in a Y1 class and obv see the same kind of thing day in day out. And I worked for a 1.5y in DD's school in Y1 and Y2 classes, and doing a lot of listening to readers.

thesunandtherain Sun 18-Oct-09 21:14:38

Well, you have been very helpful Hulababy, and I am grateful. I would love it if our school's TA's were like you.

Hulababy Sun 18-Oct-09 21:22:58

Have fun reading together grin

foxinsocks Sun 18-Oct-09 21:25:02

I loved those Gaskitt family books. Some of them made me lol!

trickerg Sun 18-Oct-09 22:12:31

I love the Gaskitt family, and my last year's class adored them. However, I read them to my colleague's Y2 class the other day and the children all sat there staring at me with worried expressions on their faces! Talking doormats?....I could see them thinking.....is she on drugs or something?!

thesunandtherain Mon 19-Oct-09 09:48:14

Right, off to look for Gaskitt books then smile. Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now