Talk

Advanced search

year 1 or 2 maths

(2 Posts)
puddinmama Sat 17-Oct-09 12:56:36

hi all

just wanted some advice about maths, my ds has started tens and ones in school, in northern ireland he would be primary 3 this year, we home educate, but i wanted to know how is it that they 'get' the concepts in school, ds now gets u know 29 is 2 tens and 9 units but addition ir proving a bit tricky, so what i want to ask is, if he was at school what approach would be used to teach these concepts and on average how long before a child gets it, or am i worrying about nothing and this is normal

thanks

puddinmama

trickerg Sat 17-Oct-09 14:03:11

Number lines (very visual - children like using these) or partitioning.

E.g.
Number line (e.g. 29 + 26): Draw a line and mark 29 on the left end of the line, then draw 2 big jumps for the tens you are adding, marking +10 above each one (we call these kangaroo jumps), then draw a small bunny jump for the units, marking +6 above it. Your child should then be able to 'magic' the answer, writing each total below the number line at the end of each hop: 29 add 10 is 39, 39 ad 10 is 49, 49 add 6 is 55.
Do this in stages - practice adding tens on the NL, then add units to TU numbers using the NL, then tens and 5s, then TU. (That's the order I use - not set in stone!)

Partitioning: 20+9+20+6 = 20+20+9+6=
40+15=55
This looks easy, but I usually find children find this easier if they have done no. lines first and are ABSOLUTELY secure with TU. The numberlines help to organise the 6-7 year old brain - a hefty task!

Hope the no. line explanation is clear. It's really easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now