Talk

Advanced search

nervous about school start - not til next september !!!

(5 Posts)
Annabel1 Fri 16-Oct-09 14:20:28

Live near a couple of home educators, not a likely route for us but making me think. Not helping that new report out about formality too soon. dd four at beginning of october very happy and confident at lovely playgroup and chose to sing song by herself at introductory session at school last night. I'm a teacher and I don't think it helps me feel confident about play based education - the last school I worked at had very "bums on seats" approach in reception and I am worried about it all. And yet, I don't fundamentally think I will or should home ed. Please tell me that some children love school and thrive on it, that they're not damaged by our apparently early start to formal education. And most of all....that she won't love the teacher more than her often grumpy and stressed out full time mother!!

Annabel1 Fri 16-Oct-09 14:21:38

I should add that I am worried that it won't be play based enough, not the other way round!

LynetteScavo Fri 16-Oct-09 14:27:43

Well, my DD has jsut started reception, and it is very play based.
She loves it, and is thriving.
It's Y1 I'm worrying about! I do actually think DS1 has been um.."damaged" by his Y1 teachers, adn they way they did things last year, but he's now at a new school, where he claims he only plays in Y2. I'm assured it's not true, though, but as long as he sees it like that.

Of course she won't love the teacher more that you! Although the teacher will do soemthings better than you, in her eyes (like wear bangles...DS1 thought his teacher was very cool to wear bangles. hmm). grin

Pyrocanthus Fri 16-Oct-09 16:03:41

I think your DD will probably benefit greatly from having been born in October, tbh.

AMumInScotland Fri 16-Oct-09 16:15:51

I know there are lots of arguments about the pros and cons of an early start to school, but in all honesty the vast majority of children cope fine with it and reach their potential. Most will settle fine and be happy.

I date back long before the current "play based" view of early years, but still had a lovely first teacher and enjoyed school, and I think so did most people, most of the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now