Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about bullying..

(8 Posts)
roneef Thu 15-Oct-09 15:14:30

My son goes to a small private school. He is a kind, friendly chatty person <i know I'm biased>.

Since reception there have been many, many incidences with various children of him being verbally, physically bullied. He's 9 now.

I have spoken to the staff on numerous occasions. They 'deal' with it.

Am I right in thinking that

1. This happens in all schools?

2. My son is a fun target sad

I really want to question them about bullying policies but don't have a clue where to begin.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the waffly post but I'm really upset. TIA for any replies.

cory Thu 15-Oct-09 17:13:53

I would start with the simple question: what are your bullying policies? Followed by And how do you implement them? Followed by And how do you intend to implement them in this particular case?

It may happen as a one-off in all schools. But it does not HAVE to keep on happening. And noone should be regarded as fair game, just because they are vulnerable.

A head has various sanctions at this disposal. From his first general Chat to the Assembly Without Naming Names (this can be useful in cases of basically well meaning children who do not realise that what they are doing comes under the heading of bullying). Over Instructing Dinner Ladies to Keep an Eye and the Withdrawal of Golden Time, all the way up to exclusion if it really has to come to it.

You can not specify what the school should be doing. But you can demand that they do something.

roneef Thu 15-Oct-09 19:03:15

Thank you so much for the reply.

I was never bullied so find it hard to understand what it is about that makes him a constant target. sad

cornsilk Thu 15-Oct-09 19:04:52

That's awful. No it isn't normal.

cory Thu 15-Oct-09 20:47:10

I know why I was bullied: I was a bit of a smart arse tbh with very limited social skills.

But with ds, I suspect the reason might actually be the opposite. Perhaps it's not really been bullying, but when he has been attacked at school, I think it has been because he is quite a gentle friendly little boy, so a safe target for a couple of boys with very serious problems of their own.

cory Thu 15-Oct-09 20:48:17

But the thing you have to bear in mind is that people primarily get bullied because of other people's problems, not because of their own.

cherryblossoms Thu 15-Oct-09 20:53:26

Have you checked out kidscape ?

I think they/the website might have better information than I can offer.

Sorry that that's happening to your ds.

roneef Fri 16-Oct-09 07:48:40

Thanks all. You have really helped to be a bit less hysterical about the whole thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now