Talk

Advanced search

Two primaries anyone done this

(8 Posts)
Dulciedot Thu 15-Oct-09 08:00:10

In brief we have moved since dc1, now in year 1, started school. We live opposite another good primary now and the dc1 primary school is two miles away.

For dc1 we never lived in the community we had to use the car and the prospect for dc2 of being able to walk to school and to friend's houses is very appealing.

Anyone had two children at different primaries throughout their education?? Did you regret this?

Originally we though we would move dc1 at year 3 but now having a wobble dc1 is doing very well at school and we are pleased with teachers. Don't want to run the risk of moving him.

concerned also that it would be nice for them both and me!! to be at same school.

Help what to do, please tell me what you think or how it worked for you. Thanks!

sarah293 Thu 15-Oct-09 08:01:08

Message withdrawn

Dulciedot Thu 15-Oct-09 08:05:53

do you mean go for primary opposite and hope we can can dc1 into year 3? (head says likely as year 3 they can take 32 children). I am just worried re moving a child (dc1) because it suits me, he is happy, stimulated and school likes him.

sarah293 Thu 15-Oct-09 08:09:32

Message withdrawn

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Thu 15-Oct-09 08:14:05

Not had 2 children in different schools but have moved dd's school as we left area completely.
DD's old school was fantastic, she was hapy and doing well and she loved it but was moving 120 odd miles so had to move. SHe settled in well at her new school and is doing even better there actually.

Also I went to a school that wasn't the local school and although not too bad when they are little logistically it is a nightmare and can be very lonely.
You may end up in the position of having to choose which of the children can got to friends houses as times clash and you have to drive one dc to their friends.
Also your dc2 will live locally to their friends and you may be left with dc1 at home upset or bored because their friends live that bit further away.
I know 2 miles isn't much but think about how difficult it may end up being in 2 places at once if both schools choose to have an event on the same day how do you choose which one to attend?

Dulciedot Thu 15-Oct-09 08:17:48

The other option is that dc2 goes to dc1 school and they both don't live in the school community. there are a couple of children in our locality who commute to current school, but I agree froma social point of view it is not satisfactory they miss out and dc1 has already missed out and settling into school has been much more diff because we don't live local.

I suppose I just have to bite the bullet and hope dc1 will cope and the year I will have with both of them at seperate schools will be workable, I have got the childcare in place and probably can rely on a friend to drop dc1 off to mine so it will work

I feel torn by this, just don't want to mess things up for dc1.

Dulciedot Thu 15-Oct-09 08:49:32

Soz if I sound like a mad woman! I admit I am going round and round in circles. Thanks you have all helped me to avoid doing a 'u' turn from the course I had decided on. Recent parents evening given me a wobble.

sunnydelight Thu 15-Oct-09 11:09:20

A friend did that. Two kids were settled at primary but when she moved she started her youngest at the local school because she wanted him to have local friends. The two older ones were adamant that they didn't want to move, but when they saw that their brother could stay in bed until 8.30 then stroll down the road for a 9.15 start whereas they had to leave to catch a train by 8 they changed their minds! Obviously it's different if YOU have to get two to different places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now