Talk

Advanced search

Question about writing

(4 Posts)
YummyMummy21 Wed 14-Oct-09 21:11:31

Hi there,

DD is 4.9 and has been in her full-time Reception class for 5 weeks. She has been able, for a while to write a few letters without aids, and the rest by looking an copying.

She is now beginning to write words/ sentances, and at the moment loves to make birthday cards and party invites for her teddies etc. She asks me to spell out words she doesnt know/ cant sound out, which she then writes.

Questions is: when she is writing she well mix lower case (little) and upper case (big)letters together for example hAPPy BiThdAy. Should I continue letting her do this free writing? Or should I be correcting her?

At the moment she is just making words and enjoying 'writting' so dont want to ruin it my making a fuss and correcting her each time, but also dont want her to get into a habbit that might be hard to be corrected at a later date.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance x

pipWereRabbit Wed 14-Oct-09 23:59:03

Personally I'd leave her to it - especially as she ahving so much fun writing at the moment.

You could ask her teacher which approach to take - so that you are giving a consistent message with what she hears at school.

cathcat Thu 15-Oct-09 00:04:56

I agree, let her get her confidence as a writer for the moment. She is very young - plenty of time to sort out mistakes later.

mrz Thu 15-Oct-09 07:46:36

As a teacher I find it is very difficult for children who have learnt upper and lower case letters and mix them in words to get out of the habit, but i would never spoil a child's enjoyment of independent writing by correcting this. I would however correct it when the child is writing with me (as gently as possible) - capital letters tell us where the start of something important is like your name so we don't put them in the middle of words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now