Talk

Advanced search

Helping dc cope with shouty teacher

(8 Posts)
MrsGently Wed 14-Oct-09 20:34:05

My dd has a shouty teacher this year - she's a sensitive wee soul and has already been reduced to tears following being shouted at for failing to hear an instruction. sad

The teacher has a reputation for shouting - even at well behaved kids, for minor things like accidently dropping a pencil.

How do I help her deal with this - she tries hard to please but is only human and occasionally she slips up.

Rolf Wed 14-Oct-09 21:43:41

How old is your DD?

Is there a parents' night coming up? Would it be worth mentioning it to the teacher then?

MrsGently Wed 14-Oct-09 22:01:16

She's in Year 2, not sure what to say to the teacher tbh, I really am not keen on confrontation.

deste Wed 14-Oct-09 22:43:39

Well we know who she takes after then. You tell the teacher that she gets scared when you shout and that she is too young to understand that you dont really mean to shout. Tell her you dont do shouting at home. You then give her the biggest smile ever and thank her for being so understanding.

MrsGently Wed 14-Oct-09 23:58:33

I'm not keen on the confrontation side of things because I don't think it will work - it's been tried before, by many parents before who have dc's furtherup the school.

I do think it would help my dd to develop a thicker skin though in spite of her teacher's behaviour, but she tries so hard to please, critisim floors her.

The teacher needs to develop a more sophisticated approach to dealing with minor issues than screaming her head off. I will speak to the Head regarding the her method, as it's clear than countless people have approached her in the past with little joy - and approached previous Head who could only shrug their shoulders and agree.
Hopefully the new Head can provide a new direction in dicipline, - well one can only live in hope.

Rolf Thu 15-Oct-09 13:49:33

I'm having a similar problem with my DS1, who is a bit older than your DD (he's in yr 5). He generally loves school and participates in class, sometimes, I think, at the expense of the quieter children. All his teachers so far have been women and have all been quite maternal and gentle. He has a male teacher this year who doesn't seem to be letting DS1 speak up and who terrifies him, and I'm concerned that DS1 is going to lose his enthusiasm for school.

As far as I can tell, the teacher is perfectly competent and although i don't like the sound of his teaching style I don't think I can do much about it.

The strategies I'm working on are:

mention to the teacher at parents' night that DS1 is unhappy at school for the first time since he started, and could he please keep an eye on him for me.

mention it to the head teacher as well, really just so that if things get worse the head has some idea of the context.

I've spoken to DS1 about it being appropriate to give the other children a chance to speak up, that his confidence might be intimidating for them. We've spoken about humility (it's an RC school). I've tried to get him to imagine what he'd do if he was a teacher with a DS1 in the class (that didn't really work). I'm trying to make home time a bit more special for him.

I don't know if any of these things would help with your DD1. My problem, and I'm sure this is even more so with a yr 2 child, that the sort of techniques that help us to cope with shouting, being ignored, sarcasm etc require a great deal of maturity. It's a lot to ask of a 6 year old, let alone a 9 year old.

buy1get1free Thu 15-Oct-09 17:53:45

No child should have to 'deal' with a shouty teacher. Speak to the head, she should be told not to shout at any small child - it's bullish and intimidating FGS!

MrsGently Thu 15-Oct-09 21:10:03

I agree with you buy1 but I think lots of people think it's OK for a teacher to shout and lots of teachers do. I will be speaking to the Head, he's new so maybe he can change the atmosphere in the school, as this year's teacher is not the only one who holds a reputation for excess shouting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now