Talk

Advanced search

I think I am possibly being too laid back about this and perhaps I should do something?

(10 Posts)
bibbitybobbityCAT Wed 14-Oct-09 20:27:55

DS is in Year 1 and already 6. He has been at the school since Nursery and always enjoyed it, never refused to go, always full of enthusiasm.

This has changed slightly since he started in Year 1 in September. There have been various incidents where he said he "got hurt" or "had an accident" when I picked him up and has said once or twice that someone has punched him.

He doesn't have a best friend in the class and when I ask him who he has been playing with he often says he's played with children from the other Year 1 classes.

Today he said he was "beaten up" by 4 boys from his class at playtime. I asked him if he told a teacher and he said yes and that the boys had to go and see the Headteacher.

He didn't seem upset on the way home, it all came out quite randomly during dinner.

I don't really know whether or not I believe him. I don't want to make a fuss or make a huge issue out of nothing at school. How can I find out if this did really happen and if they did go to see the Head? One of the boys involved is the ds of a friend of mine who would be absolutely horrified if her son was involved in something like this.

What can I do without marking myself out as a neurotic mum?

MyCatsAScarierBastardThanYours Wed 14-Oct-09 20:30:39

I'd certainly ask the Headteacher what had happened. I don't think you would sound neurotic at all.

alloveryet Wed 14-Oct-09 20:35:04

Just pop in and see your son's class teacher. Tell her what was said, she may be able to confirm/put straight what happened. There is a big difference between being neurotic and just having a chat with the teacher.

traceybath Wed 14-Oct-09 20:36:47

I wouldn't go to the head teacher but just ask his class teacher.

Explain what your DS has said and just say you're a little concerned.

alloveryet Wed 14-Oct-09 20:37:26

As a teacher I always prefer parents to come to me first - what ever the problem, rather than go straight to the head.....

Hulababy Wed 14-Oct-09 20:40:50

Definitely go and see your DS's class teacher.

I would always approach the class teacher first, before seeing the Head.

MusterMix Wed 14-Oct-09 20:41:40

oh fgs of course oyu go in
sheesh
what would it tkae to get you in?

jelliebelly Wed 14-Oct-09 20:44:18

I would speak to the class teacher. Why would your ds make this up? it needs to be sorted now before it gets worse why wouldn't you believe him?

bibbitybobbityCAT Wed 14-Oct-09 20:49:13

Ok, thanks for replying. He does not seem unhappy. I don't want him to become a victim, I want him to learn to deal with playground incidents.

This is all new to me, dd (year 3) is sailing through school and I have never had to speak to her teacher about anything like this before.

He is a confident little chap, one of the tallest and oldest in the class.

It all seems so unlikely ... sad

bibbitybobbityCAT Thu 15-Oct-09 22:12:27

Update on this in case anyone looks in:

No, ds was not "beaten up" by 4 boys in the playground and they did not get sent to the headteacher. His class teacher recounted the only time ds got upset yesterday was when he was asked to be quiet quite firmly when he was still talking after the whole class had been asked to be silent blush.

He rushed down to school this morning and was happy as could be at home later.

He is quite a drama queen and I need to somehow get across to him how important it is not to exaggerate his own suffering, in case the time ever comes when he is genuinely in trouble and nobody takes him seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now