Talk

Advanced search

Taking DS out of school for an afternoon

(7 Posts)
sarasusie123 Wed 14-Oct-09 19:16:30

My Dad has booked tickets to see Grease in the westend for my DDs 10th birthday. They are ment to be going this Friday, I told DD not to mention it to anyone at school as she shouldn't be taking the time off, I was going to say she had opticians appointment and take her out at lunch time, however she has just informed me that She told her teacher she was going on Friday. What do I do?

mrz Wed 14-Oct-09 19:30:42

Write a letter requesting permission explaining the situation - gift from grandparents - I can't see it being a huge problem for most schools.

clam Wed 14-Oct-09 19:38:40

Nor me. Just explain. What can they do about it? Sack you?
I'd have more of a problem expecting a 10yo to lie about it. That would totally stress out my DD.

mimsum Wed 14-Oct-09 19:57:39

why on earth would you get her to lie about it? that's giving her a much worse message than not going to school on a Friday afternoon

I can't see any school kicking up a fuss about it - they wouldn't like being lied to though

Housemum Wed 14-Oct-09 20:13:08

They will probably put it down as unauthorised absence, our school says that special occasions have to be genuinely special and couldn't be on another date eg family wedding, sports coaching with a national figure. Trips/tickets don't count. It depends how srict your school are - the problem is you need to take her out, so you may get the looks-could-kill when you go in!

By the way, I know lying shouldn't be condoned, but couldn't you say you are going after the optician?

BuckRogers Wed 14-Oct-09 20:17:56

No problem taking her out for something like this. Big, big problem lying about it and worse still expecting your DD to lie about it.

It may well result in an unauthorised absence but that's school's problem, not yours as long as she has an otherwise good attendance record.

sarasusie123 Fri 16-Oct-09 15:28:19

I didn't ask her to lie, just not to mention it. I ended up going in to see her class teacher and he said it was fine. So no worries, she's on her way now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now