Talk

Advanced search

Worried about school.

(7 Posts)
Icanonlytry Tue 13-Oct-09 23:23:38

My DD is in year 2. she is such a happy little girl and i am so proud of the way she is growing up. I just dont feel that she is progressing very much in school.

She was a very bright toddler, we were told at all the assessments with the health visitor that she was very advanced and would no doubt do very well at school etc.

When i work with her at home she picks things up quickly and remembers what we have done so i dont think she has any problems with learning. However she is very quiet and laid back and from my own experiences of working in a school i know this can result in the children being 'forgotten' in class (especially when there are 30 in the class).

I am currently training to be a teacher so am familiar with what she should be learning and how to teach it so have been thinking about teaching her at home (after school) although I worry that she is only 6 and needs time to be a child, I just don't want her falling behind when she is obviously capable.
What would you do in this situation? Or am I worrying about nothing? There are a few issues regarding the school's performance generally at the moment (especially in the juniors) which is also worrying me.
Thanks.

notimetoshop Tue 13-Oct-09 23:48:58

Hi,
Have you seen this programme 6s and 7s. It sounds like the kind of thing that might help your daughter, it's designed not for children who are falling behind, but for children who are quiet. 6/7 is a turning point age when children start to fit in more with their peers.

Might help.

SomeGuy Wed 14-Oct-09 01:14:30

Is private school an option?

Perhaps with the teacher's discount if you taught at the same school.

cory Wed 14-Oct-09 07:41:21

Is she genuinely falling behind or is she just not ahead in the way you expected? How does she feel about her school experience? Do you get the feeling that she is still excited about learning things at school, or is she bored? Does the school set into groups for literacy and if so what group is she in?

You could of course do some half way house and not exactly teach her at home, but still help her choose books and do educational activities for fun. I have found reading aloud even to older children is a great activity as it gives you a chance to introduce far more difficult concepts than they are able to read about themselves.

But of course, this shouldn't distract you from the main question- is your daughter happy and stimulated at school?

trickerg Wed 14-Oct-09 19:05:53

Perhaps she developed early and seemed very bright when she was a toddler, and other later developers have caught up now.

mrz Wed 14-Oct-09 20:09:52

By Icanonlytry on Tue 13-Oct-09 23:23:38
My DD is in year 2. she is such a happy little girl and i am so proud of the way she is growing up. I just dont feel that she is progressing very much in school.

In what ways is she not progressing very much?
Is she falling behind ?

Icanonlytry Wed 14-Oct-09 22:16:21

thanks for your replies, I will have a look at that 6 to 7 programme and see if i can use it with her.

She is happy at school, she has a lovley group of friends and i have no worries about her socially, i think the problem is that because she is so quiet and isnt really on the teachers 'radar' she switches off and looses concentration.

She is a fantastic reader and is in the top group for literacy but struggles to get her work down on paper, this tends to go unnoticed until the end of the lesson when it is too late to get her to do anything, I am worried that if this continues she will not be doing anything at all in class.

Not sure about her maths grouping, i think she is in the middle group.

She is not falling behind the other children she just doesn't seem to be learning as much as i'd expect from what i have seen her be able to do at home(im not at all a pushy parent, and am not desperate for her to be the 'best' in the class, i just think its a shame if she is not learning as much as she should be)

Perhaps trickerg is right and she blossomed early and is now slowing down.
Sorry if this is hard to read, am just coming to the end of an 8000 word assignment and my brain has turned to jelly.
Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now