Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What does your Year 1 child do in maths - what's on the curriculum and what is the average year 1 child able to do?

(23 Posts)
thegrammerpolicesic Mon 12-Oct-09 23:30:53

Would be very interested to know.

spellicious Mon 12-Oct-09 23:36:03

http://www.coxhoe.durham.sch.uk/Curriculum/Numeracy.htm

this will give you a good idea

am sure there is the numberacy framework thingy linked on there too

spellicious Mon 12-Oct-09 23:40:13

http://www.sparkisland.com/public/curriculumguide/y1/y1_mathsguide/index.html

or in government speak
http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/64522

SomeGuy Tue 13-Oct-09 00:01:09

Check the Maths books in WH Smith for Year 1, should give a pretty good idea.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 00:05:49

oh that government speak one is interesting is that what they're expected to know at the start or the end of YR1 though??

Goblinchild Tue 13-Oct-09 07:34:30

The standards site takes you through the three terms, so it depends which bit you've been looking at.

thegrammerpolicesic Tue 13-Oct-09 09:37:37

Thanks for this - v helpful

thegrammerpolicesic Tue 13-Oct-09 09:42:15

Always looking - the document that govt one links to looks to me like by the end of year one stuff as it's very different to the end of the EYFS goals for reception.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 10:10:28

ahh - ok thanks

thegrammerpolicesic Tue 13-Oct-09 10:24:21

They'd have to have something weird happen to their brains over summer holidays to skip from the end of EYFS stage to that sort of thing by Sept in year 1 wouldn't they grin. More than a bit of Omega 3 to get that effect.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 10:28:48

I don't know - I can't remember where DS1 was at the start of YR1, and I know where DS2 is now at the start of it smile

SomeGuy Tue 13-Oct-09 13:49:26

Haliborange wink

thegrammerpolicesic Tue 13-Oct-09 14:11:12

brain transplants more like grin

Hulababy Tue 13-Oct-09 14:17:33

I work in a Y1 class.

Today I worked with my lower ability group for numeracy. We did 2D shapes: triangle, circle, square and rectangle. We did lots of handling of the plastic shapes, feeling their sides and corners, and using language to describe the shapes. We sorted them into groups according to number of sides, etc. and we drew round them, sometimes using them to make images. Yesterday we went round the school grounds on a 2D shape hunt, taking photos of the shapes we found around us.

The other group - above average - made some puzzles re shapes. They wrote some clues as to a shape, and then drew the answer and covered it with a post it note - and then tested one another with their puzzles.

Last week we looked at month. Mainly handling small coins and counting/adding them. My group only looked at counting pennies. The other groups moved onto other coins and adding them to make a certain amount.

We have done number binds to 10 recently too, although not with my group yet as not yet ready for that.

We have been forming and writing numbers. Some in my group are still forming any numbers - have done 0 and 1 with my two lowest, and been counting to 5 and then 10, using lots of songs. Others int he class have done numbers to 20 and counting backwards, and using number lines, etc.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 14:20:15

Hula - do you know the BBC Bitesize website all??

Hulababy Tue 13-Oct-09 14:46:33

A little bit why?

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 14:51:53

just wondering if the "above average" children in your YR1 class would be able to do 95% of the KS1 bitesize (all levels)

Hulababy Tue 13-Oct-09 14:54:59

Link?

However, I would probably doubt it at this stage, as they are only just beginning kay stage 1 and still have another year and 5/6th to go.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 14:56:53

here

Hulababy Tue 13-Oct-09 15:09:06

No - they definitely couldn't do the highest level son there. They'd probably manage the medium level, although may need something like number squares to aid them. Not sur eon hard level TBH either.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 15:12:23

oh

Hulababy Tue 13-Oct-09 15:29:47

I wouldn't worry if your on child is already able to do many of it. He is unlikely to be the only child the school will have come across who is particularly able in numeracy. And I think numeracy is one area where it can be easy to differentiate upwards, whlst still teaching other concepts to the whole class.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 15:32:45

thanks - think it's only just dawning on my that "about average" DS2 is actually quite good at numeracy - I've been trying to pretend he's not but I'm not sure I can keep up the "he's just average at it" for much longer as I keep hearing/reading/seeing more that show me he isn't blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now