Advanced search

Oh no, going to miss application deadline...!

(20 Posts)
MrsMonkey Mon 12-Oct-09 06:26:20

Hi - we are in the process of moving to a new area and the deadine for applying for a 2010 reception place is 22nd October. We are literally in the process of exchanging contracts on the house, but I have just realised that there is a strong possibility that we won't have exchanged by the deadline.

The LEA website says that they accept late applications in cases like ours, up to November 22nd, but I'm worried that we'll be at the back of the queue as far as places are concerned. Has anyone done this in the past - applied late for some reason? Did you manage to get a place in the school you wanted, and is there anything else I need to do?

StealthPolarBear Mon 12-Oct-09 06:43:43

Can you apply using your new address and then withdraw the application if for whatever reason the move doesn't happen?
Or is that not allowed?

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 12-Oct-09 06:55:59

Can you get your solicitor to write a letter stating that exchange of contracts are underway and that if for any reason exchange doesn't happen they will inform the LEA so the application from that address can be withdrawn? I would speak tonthe LEA first, explain the situation and see what they advise.

MrsMonkey Mon 12-Oct-09 07:00:57

Thanks - it is Surrey LEA and I think they ask for proof of address.

This is what it says on the website, "we may consider some late applications (up to 30 November) if the application could not reasonably have been made by the closing date. This may happen, for example, when contracts are exchanged on a new house after the closing date, or in certain other exceptional circumstances. You must provide proof of permanent residency (that is, evidence of an exchange of contracts or a rental agreement which must be for at least 12 months)."

I guess we will just have to make a late application and hope!

happywomble Mon 12-Oct-09 07:38:08

I would try and get your application in for the deadline and send an accompanying sollicitor's letter. Then when the exchange takes place send another letter confirming that you are now at the address. The part you have copied from the website does not sound very reassuring "we MAY consider". I'm worried you would end up at the bottom of the pile if you wait till November to had the form in.

Rebeccaj Mon 12-Oct-09 11:04:03

We did exactly this in Surrey, and were told to apply using our existing address (so we were at least in the system) and then update them as soon as we exchanged. We got a place in our preferred school a month into term (we moved, and this applied, at the end of August). If you can't send proof of address at the time of application, they won't use that address.

MrsMonkey Mon 12-Oct-09 12:52:18

Thanks everyone. Rebeccaj - the problem is we're not in Surrey at the moment, in fact we're not even in the country so I'm not sure how it will work.

I will call them and see if they will let me apply now even though we haven't exchanged. All the papers are signed on our side, it is just that the chain is being held up further down the line.

clam Mon 12-Oct-09 19:40:42

ROund here, you don't have to send proof of address until much later on. I'd submit the forms anyway.

buy1get1free Tue 13-Oct-09 09:34:24

No,no --- you can do this. Phone your LEA and they will tell you what to supply to support your application. For Surrey schools, you need to include a council tax reference number. But as you won't have this for your new home, they will accept other proof that you will living at the new address when your child starts school in 2010. You need to call Surrey County Council on +44 20 8541 9944 and ask for Education. Good luck !

MrsMonkey Tue 13-Oct-09 13:22:53

Hi buy1get1free and clam! Thanks so much for all the advice. I called the LEA yesterday and the lady did indeed tell me to just go ahead and apply online so that I am at least 'in the system', and then I can supply my proofs later on. I'm so glad I called to check!

I'm not sure whether to use my 'new address' i.e. the house we haven't yet exchanged on when I register - I think I'll have to otherwise it will be 'computer says no'.

Now I just have to choose schools - I have 1 and 2 sorted but not sure which to put for 3. Fun, fun, fun...

clam Tue 13-Oct-09 15:40:17

Yes, I think you must use your intended address, although you could clarify the situation if there's a box for additional information. Otherwise, if the school you want is over-subscribed, you'd automatically get put into a lower priority category, which might mean you not getting a place.
Proof would probably be needed in the next couple of months, but here in Herts, everyone applying under the distance rule this year had to send proof of address after allocation in March.

Rebeccaj Tue 13-Oct-09 21:49:30

If you apply online, the system will ask for the council tax reference for the applying address. Not sure how to get round that?

clam Wed 14-Oct-09 17:06:51

Are you Surrey, Rebeccaj? Coz it must vary from County to County as we didn't have to do that last year (not Surrey though).

Rebeccaj Wed 14-Oct-09 19:11:28

Clam - Yes, I am. I know, the systems seem different all over the place, which is mad!

We've just done the application for DS who will start next year, so have seen this years form, and we had to put the council tax reference for the applying address. I don't know if you could submit the form without it (we did it online, which Surrey want everyone to do!). I guess you could do it offline and not fill it in, but when we spoke to Surrey about it for DD a couple of months or so ago (we only moved here, from London, in Aug and DD started reception in Sept!) they wouldn't use our new surrey address unless we could provide proof of exchange or a 12 month rental contract. They wouldn't take a letter saying we were "about to" exchange, which was true.

CarGirl Wed 14-Oct-09 19:15:57

In Surrey last year we didn't have to prove our residency until we accepted the place, I think we offered places in February? We had to take our council tax bill into the school where we were accepting the place.

Rollergirl1 Wed 14-Oct-09 20:29:23

I can back up Rebeccaj, am also in Surrey and applying for places for next year and online you definitely have to enter your Council Tax No.

I Surrey County Council quite annoying to be honest. They seem a lot stricter than other councils. We also moved from London and all my friends are still there. With Wandsworth council applications don't have to be in until Jan next year. Seems crazy we have to do so early in Surrey.

Rebeccaj Wed 14-Oct-09 20:30:30

CarGirl - yes, last year that was true (we had to supply proof when we applied as we were late applicants), but this year it's changed; you need the council tax reference when you apply. It clearly states this in the booklet about admissions on the Surrey website 50b/e007a82c0a481e9580257624005562f8/$FILE/Primary%20School%20Brochure.pdf

I guess maybe they've had problems with people putting false addresses to get into good schools, so they have changed the system to require proof on application.

mololoko Wed 14-Oct-09 20:35:45

i know someone who works in admissions (not in surrey though) who said they don't do the allocations until january, so when the form is returned is irrelevant. email the admissions officers to make sure they're fully aware of your situation, then you can keep the response as proof you got in touch (rather than a spoken conversation)!

CarGirl Wed 14-Oct-09 20:35:58

Surrey do their applications in conjunction with some of the London Boroughs which makes it quite complicated, it's also a huge area that's very populated and then lots decide to go down the private route after applying etc etc.

My friend ended up with her dd being a late applicant as she applies on line and it didn't work but she didn't realise IYSWIM. So despite being a sibling she's still waiting for a reception place because her dd was a late applicant and went after everyone else.

MrsMonkey Tue 20-Oct-09 16:04:30

A quick update. I contacted the LEA again and they said it was fine to apply now and leave the council tax bit blank. As soon as we have exchaned we provide proof of our address and our council tax ref and that will be fine.

I've just done my online application tonight. Now all I have to do is worry about whether we'll get into one of our choices or not!

Thanks for all help!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: